Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11241586 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »

skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

Sounds pretty good although it doesn't match the 24-70 II (as expected from the MTF charts) at least at f/4 (although it's very close wide open to wide open). I'd really be curious how it does f/8 though or even f/5.6 too. It's hard to say much more without knowing that. This sort of lens, in particular, may be used stopped down a lot.

Better than the 24-105 IS (or 24-70 I if you don't need f/2.8) though.

If the Tamron didn't exist I guess it might make sense at the price it was launched at, although it really depends how well it compares to the 24-70 II stopped down. Considering the Tamron though it seems a bit pricey (although, again, it's hard to say without seeing how it does stopped down, maybe it does better for 24mm landscapes?). It only tested a tiny bit better across the range and lacks f/2.8

It appears to deserve to cost more than the 24-105 IS but the Tamron does make the price seem a little rough, depending (on whether it is a trade of for getting access to f/2.8 vs. better stopped down landscape performance or something).

Of course large scale contrast and AF and such remain to be seen.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:54 PM

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11241586 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »