Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11240863 « A question about lens cleaning??? »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: A question about lens cleaning???

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
Another really important issue. Many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning. I don't mean just in regards to trying to find specialized tools and fluids for cleaning lenses, but they simply worry way too much about trying to keep a pristine lens.

Dan, I could be considered quite keen on keeping my lenses in a "pristine" condition.
Now, I began to take pictures with my father's Zorki and Leica rangefinders around 1956.
When did you start with non-instamatic photography ?

<geezer alert>
Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age, though a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Now that the geezer-talk is out of the way, I'd rather that people develop whatever opinions they want to develop about my photography based on the photographs I make today than on the gear I can name from a half-century ago. And you? ;-)
</geezer alert>

I'll stand by my comment that "many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning," but that doesn't mean that you couldn't also make the same statement about a small number of photographers who have done this for a long time.

Here is what is in my bag for lens cleaning: One small lens cloth.

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:35 PM
gdanmitchell

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
Another really important issue. Many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning. I don't mean just in regards to trying to find specialized tools and fluids for cleaning lenses, but they simply worry way too much about trying to keep a pristine lens.

Dan, I could be considered quite keen on keeping my lenses in a "pristine" condition.
Now, I began to take pictures with my father's Zorki and Leica rangefinders around 1956.

<geeze-talkr alert>
Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age, though a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Now that the geezer-talk is out of the way, I'd rather that people develop whatever opinions they want to develop about my photography based on the photographs I make today than on the gear I can name from a half-century ago. And you? ;-)
</geezer alert>

I'll stand by my comment that "many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning," but that doesn't mean that you couldn't also make the same statement about a small number of photographers who have done this for a long time.

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:34 PM
gdanmitchell

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

<geezer alert!>Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age, though a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Now that the geezer-talk is out of the way, I'd rather that people develop whatever opinions they want to develop about my photography based on the photographs I make today than on the gear I can name from a half-century ago. And you? ;-)</geezer alert>

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:34 PM
gdanmitchell

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age though perhaps a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:33 PM
gdanmitchell

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age though perhaps a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:31 PM
gdanmitchell

PetKal wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age though perhaps a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-)

I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.

Now that this geezer-talk is out of the way, I'd rather that people develop whatever opinions they want to develop about my photography based on the photographs I make today than on the gear I can name from a half-century ago. And you? ;-)

(I carry a bulb blower for sensor cleaning, but have never used it on a lens. YMMV.)

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11240863 « A question about lens cleaning??? »