Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11238150 « Can this shot be salvaged? »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Can this shot be salvaged?

I\'m more inclined to see it as the effects of distortion inherent to the lens rather than de-centering per se.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?Lens=675&FLI=1&LensComp=675&FLIComp=0&Camera=474&CameraComp=474

Not sure what focal length (assuming fairly wide) these were shot at, but the swing between barrel & pincushion occurs between the 15 - 24 range. The grasses on both ends \"lean in\" ... as does the left side of the house. There does seem to be some variance between the left side grasses vs. the right side, but the camera isn\'t square to the road, so the right side grasses are slightly farther away. Barring other testing images to compare with ... I\'m thinking the distortion is the main culprit here (variance @ UWA not square).

Run a straight line (thanks again, Jim) parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play. The frame readily shows how \"out of square\" the camera orientation was to the roadside (i.e. grasses).

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:32 AM
RustyBug

I\'m more inclined to see it as the effects of distortion inherent to the lens rather than de-centering per se.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?Lens=675&FLI=1&LensComp=675&FLIComp=0&Camera=474&CameraComp=474

Not sure what focal length (assuming fairly wide) these were shot at, but the swing between barrel & pincushion occurs between the 15 - 24 range. The grasses on both ends \"lean in\" ... as does the left side of the house. There does seem to be some variance between the left side grasses vs. the right side, but the camera isn\'t square to the road, so the right side grasses are slightly farther away. Barring other testing images to compare with ... I\'m thinking the distortion is the main culprit here (variance @ UWA not square).

Run a straight line (thanks again, Jim) parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play. The white frame readily shows how \"out of square\" the camera orientation was to the roadside (i.e. grasses).

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:32 AM
RustyBug

Run a straight line (thanks again, Jim) parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:29 AM
RustyBug

Run a straight line (thanks again, Jim) parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:25 AM
RustyBug

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:22 AM
RustyBug

Not sure what focal length (assuming fairly wide) these were shot at, but the swing between barrel & pincushion occurs between the 15 - 24 range. The grasses on both ends \"lean in\" ... as does the left side of the house. There does seem to be some variance between the left side grasses vs. the right side, but the camera isn\'t square to the road, so the right side grasses are slightly farther away. Barring other testing images to compare with ... I\'m thinking the distortion is the main culprit here.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:18 AM
RustyBug

Not sure what focal length (assuming fairly wide) these were shot at, but the swing between barrel & pincushion occurs between the 15 - 24 range. The grasses on both ends \"lean in\" ... as does the left side of the house. There does seem to be some variance between the left side grasses vs. the right side, but the camera isn\'t square to the road, so the right side grasses are slightly farther away. Barring other testing images to compare with ... I\'m thinking the distortion is the main culprit here.

Run a line parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:16 AM
RustyBug

Run a line parallel to the white road stripe and it\'s a bit easier to see some of the curvature in play.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11238150 « Can this shot be salvaged? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.