Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of dgdg's message #11237309 « non-IS 70-200 f/4L better than Tamron 70-300 VC? »

dgdg
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: How important is IS on the 70-200?

I have the 70-200 f4 IS, never read about the 3rd party lens. My most common use is playground action where the shutter speed required for subject motion makes IS not very important.
I think the IS would be nice for things that you will not be doing - low light, low shutter speeds without solid support. IS, obviously, does not eliminate motion blur so for your kids playing I imagine a shutter speed of at least 1/250 depending on the action. For landscapes you will have a solid tripod and head, so should not be an issue there. "Some wildlife" is a bit broad and I suspect intentionally vague. If you are shooting bif on a bright day, no need for IS when your shutter speed is at least 1/1000. If you are shooting a still moose in the early am and want to keep your iso down, IS can help your hand holding or vibrations on a tripod. I found with 400mm lenses if I am significantly under 1/400s on a solid tripod with cable release, simple unpredictable vibrations can affect sharpness. If you can swing the extra $ for IS, it is nice to have for those moments. If it means getting the lens you need or not, then get the non-is or 3rd party.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:31 AM

Previous versions of dgdg's message #11237309 « non-IS 70-200 f/4L better than Tamron 70-300 VC? »