Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of VilleK's message #11232273 « Black on black portraits *New photos* »

VilleK
Upload & Sell: Off
Black on black portraits.

friscoron, you are right about the lack of pitch black in the 2nd picture. I intentionally raised the deepest black to a dark grayish level.

Dneufarth, we tried having a bounce card as a fill below but it made her face look wider. That\'s why I decided to pick this version without the fill. The rim light should be positioned higher as you suggested, but unfortunately the height of the small studio I have at my disposal is not sufficient for that. You are also right about her pupils. This is a common problem I have when working in that studio. Also thanks for the compliments

Steady Hand, thanks for the encouraging compliments I also like how the garment turned out since I generally tend to have a lot of problems with dark matte clothing. I think the difference in hair is just caused by different light modifier/direction. You are right about the arm. It is relatively big and bright part of the image so maybe I could bring the brightness down a bit in pp.

gheller, yea the tint in the 1st image might be a bit more purple than the 2nd one. The original idea was to use more rim lights to separate her from the background but unfortunately I had some problems with some of the lights and we couldn\'t do that.

Michaelparris, thanks for the comment.

Jim Rickards, thanks for the compliments On my calibrated monitor there is a small separation also in the 1st image but I agree with you that it\'s not visible enough and I could make it more pronounced.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Good stuff

Edit
New, slightly update version

#1 with white balance fix

Smile by VilleK_, on Flickr

#2 with less washed out blacks

Soile by VilleK_, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:41 PM
VilleK

friscoron, you are right about the lack of pitch black in the 2nd picture. I intentionally raised the deepest black to a dark grayish level.

Dneufarth, we tried having a bounce card as a fill below but it made her face look wider. That\'s why I decided to pick this version without the fill. The rim light should be positioned higher as you suggested, but unfortunately the height of the small studio I have at my disposal is not sufficient for that. You are also right about her pupils. This is a common problem I have when working in that studio. Also thanks for the compliments

Steady Hand, thanks for the encouraging compliments I also like how the garment turned out since I generally tend to have a lot of problems with dark matte clothing. I think the difference in hair is just caused by different light modifier/direction. You are right about the arm. It is relatively big and bright part of the image so maybe I could bring the brightness down a bit in pp.

gheller, yea the tint in the 1st image might be a bit more purple than the 2nd one. The original idea was to use more rim lights to separate her from the background but unfortunately I had some problems with some of the lights and we couldn\'t do that.

Jim Rickards, thanks for the compliments On my calibrated monitor there is a small separation also in the 1st image but I agree with you that it\'s not visible enough and I could make it more pronounced.

Edit
New, slightly update version

#1 with white balance fix

Smile by VilleK_, on Flickr

#2 with less washed out blacks

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:38 PM
VilleK

Edit
New version of the 2nd image with less washed out blacks

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:33 PM
VilleK
Re: Black on black portraits.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:58 AM

Previous versions of VilleK's message #11232273 « Black on black portraits *New photos* »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.