Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of CalW's message #11228685 « Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use. »

CalW
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

The Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 had the reputation when it was introduced (about six years ago) as being relatively good considering it is a kit lens. I have to admit, this is one kit lens I have never used. Like Bif, I thought probably an E-M5 purchased four months ago would have come with the 12-50, which I would expect to be a much better lens than this one. However I see that new, unused copies of this lens sell on the FM B&S for only $85 - not a good sign.

But the sharpness should never-the-less be better than what your 100% crops show. I note, however, that they do sharpen up quite a bit if done in two steps. I agree with Carsten about the focus point. In the second sample, the large tree to the left appears to be much sharper that the small tree in the center, indicating that eith the focus point used was not in the center else there is really, really bad back focus.

Exposure of f/5.5, 1/100 sec and ISO 200 should be adequate as long as IBIS was turned on, although in the conditions I would have been inclined to use ISO 400 to get the shutter up to 1/200.

Lets go back to a question asked previously - were these taken with RAW data or are these JPEG out-of-camera? If JPEG, what compression was used, and if RAW, what processing was used.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Previous versions of CalW's message #11228685 « Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use. »