Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11226596 « Next step in gear upgrade? »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Next step in gear upgrade?

gome1122 wrote:
I have about $200 form Christmas money that I got and I'm debating what to do with it. My current gear is as follows: Canon 7D Canon 50mm f/1.8 Canon 70-200mm f/4 Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I'm 16 and have bought all my gear on my own, minus the 50mm which I got for Christmas as a gift. I love doing sports, which is why I have the 7D(Upgraded from a T2i), and the 70-200. The 70-200 does a good job, but with it being winter time. It is a little dark inside, and I am going to upgrade it to an f/2.8 by summer at the latest(when my job starts again). But I guess I could do it for now. So my main focus is sports, and I'm going to start doing portraits over the summer, and also I'm going to try and become an assistant for a local studio to get some more experience. My next step is going to be either: upgrade 70-200 to a f/2.8, get an ultra wide angle lens, get a speedlight(430 EX II), get a 300mm f/4, get a Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's a big list and I'm not exactly sure what to get. I've always wanted a speedlight, because I heard they can do some amazing things, but I would also love to have some more lenses. Maybe the speedlight can ?improve my 70-200 poor low light performance. I do a lot of landscape and nature shots with a friend, which is why I would like the ultra wide angle lens(Plus I love them, just because I get creative with them), but that's more just for fun. The 300mm is wanted, for sports, and also for bird photography. I do a little now when I can(whenever I see a bird) but the 70-200 just doesn't cut it. Maybe a 400mm f/5.6 instead? I want the 85mm maybe because of portraits that I'm going to start doing, maybe I should just stick with the 50mm. The definite upgrades over the summer are going to be the 70-200, and either a 300mm or 400mm. Other than that I have $200 right now that I'm not sure what I should do, Save it for now or buy something to improve my lens collection. What do you think. Anyone have any other suggestions?

P.S. I was also thinking of maybe getting a cheep body(or a 1D III if I get really lucky with cash by doing weddings as an assistant, and portraits on my own) to take to games so I have a 70-200 and a 300/400 without having to change a lens.

Note: This is also posted in General Gear-Talk. Thought you guys might be able to give me more specific answers because of brand.

A few bits of advice:

As a new, young photographer who is figuring out what his favorite sorts of photography might be and where this will all lead... this is not the time to be spending a ton of money on high end gear. Frankly, your f/4 70-200mm lens is a fine piece of gear that quite a few very serious photographers rely on, including some folks whose names are well-known, whose workshops are booked up, whose photographs sell well, and whose books are well-read.

You primary focus at this point is not gear - it should be photography, and you can do quite a fine job of without getting the high end, very expensive equipment at this point.

Your 7D is a fine camera. Put the idea of replacing the body out of your mind for now.

A "lens collection" is not a "collection," like a stamp collection might be. You want to purchase lenses because they are effective, functional tools that let you make photographs, not because you want to "build a collection," or because you want to have the gear that looks like pro gear. It isn't about the gear. It is about the photographs.

A fact: If someone were to hand you every lens and body on your list right now, a) your photography would likely be no better, b) you'd have to start focusing on the important thing, photography, c) you might still find new excuses to engage in gear lust, and d) you can do the most important thing right now with the gear you have, namely develop your eye, your technical understanding, and you style.

Dan

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:16 AM
gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Next step in gear upgrade?

gome1122 wrote:
I have about $200 form Christmas money that I got and I'm debating what to do with it. My current gear is as follows: Canon 7D Canon 50mm f/1.8 Canon 70-200mm f/4 Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I'm 16 and have bought all my gear on my own, minus the 50mm which I got for Christmas as a gift. I love doing sports, which is why I have the 7D(Upgraded from a T2i), and the 70-200. The 70-200 does a good job, but with it being winter time. It is a little dark inside, and I am going to upgrade it to an f/2.8 by summer at the latest(when my job starts again). But I guess I could do it for now. So my main focus is sports, and I'm going to start doing portraits over the summer, and also I'm going to try and become an assistant for a local studio to get some more experience. My next step is going to be either: upgrade 70-200 to a f/2.8, get an ultra wide angle lens, get a speedlight(430 EX II), get a 300mm f/4, get a Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's a big list and I'm not exactly sure what to get. I've always wanted a speedlight, because I heard they can do some amazing things, but I would also love to have some more lenses. Maybe the speedlight can ?improve my 70-200 poor low light performance. I do a lot of landscape and nature shots with a friend, which is why I would like the ultra wide angle lens(Plus I love them, just because I get creative with them), but that's more just for fun. The 300mm is wanted, for sports, and also for bird photography. I do a little now when I can(whenever I see a bird) but the 70-200 just doesn't cut it. Maybe a 400mm f/5.6 instead? I want the 85mm maybe because of portraits that I'm going to start doing, maybe I should just stick with the 50mm. The definite upgrades over the summer are going to be the 70-200, and either a 300mm or 400mm. Other than that I have $200 right now that I'm not sure what I should do, Save it for now or buy something to improve my lens collection. What do you think. Anyone have any other suggestions?

P.S. I was also thinking of maybe getting a cheep body(or a 1D III if I get really lucky with cash by doing weddings as an assistant, and portraits on my own) to take to games so I have a 70-200 and a 300/400 without having to change a lens.

Note: This is also posted in General Gear-Talk. Thought you guys might be able to give me more specific answers because of brand.

A few bits of advice:

As a new, young photographer who is figuring out what his favorite sorts of photography might be and where this will all lead... this is not the time to be spending a ton of money on high end gear. Frankly, your f/4 70-200mm lens is a fine piece of gear that quite a few very serious photographers rely on, including some folks whose names are well-known, whose workshops are booked up, whose photographs sell well, and whose books are well-read.

You primary focus at this point is not gear - it should be [/]photography, and you can do quite a fine job of without getting the high end, very expensive equipment at this point.

Your 7D is a fine camera. Put the idea of replacing the body out of your mind for now.

A "lens collection" is not a "collection," like a stamp collection might be. You want to purchase lenses because they are effective, functional tools that let you make photographs, not because you want to "build a collection," or because you want to have the gear that looks like pro gear. It isn't about the gear. It is about the photographs.

A fact: If someone were to hand you every lens and body on your list right now, a) your photography would likely be no better, b) you'd have to start focusing on the important thing, photography, c) you might still find new excuses to engage in gear lust, and d) you can do the most important thing right now with the gear you have, namely develop your eye, your technical understanding, and you style.

Dan

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:55 AM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11226596 « Next step in gear upgrade? »