Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11225388 « 24L MKII no longer loved? »

skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 24L MKII no longer loved?

I think it is the 24-70 II. I may occasionally miss f/1.4 at 24mm but I mostly used it stopped down and same for plenty of others. The 24-70 II is pretty fast at f/2.8 and the quality is finally there stopped down in a zoom at 24mm on FF. I just got rid of mine. It had been one of my favorite lenses, but I needed the money for the 24-70 II and it'd be way too extravagant to have kept it just for some f/1.4 shots here and there in my case. That said I can very much see why some would want to keep in addition to a 24-70 II (or instead of).

But I think between the timing and the comments I've seen that the sudden bump in for sale is due to the 24-70 II.

Contrary to claims of the fast aperture crowd, some people do uses lenses stopped down a lot AND no, not all lenses perform the same at f/8. Many had turned to the 24 1.4 II to get some crisp corner to corner stopped down performance on FF since the 24-105/24-70/24 2.8 of the old era didn't cut it and some wanted AF and flexibility for some other stuff as well instead of 24 T&S II. So yeah many got it mostly for f/1.4, but OTOH there were also many who got it more for other reasons and the 1.4 was just a nice bonus to use here and there.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 24L MKII no longer loved?

I think it is the 24-70 II. I may occasionally miss f/1.4 at 24mm but I mostly used it stopped down and same for plenty of others. The 24-70 II is pretty fast at f/2.8 and the quality is finally there stopped down in a zoom at 24mm on FF. I just got rid of mine. It had been one of my favorite lenses, but I needed the money for the 24-70 II and it'd be way too extravagant to have kept it just for some f/1.4 shots here and there in my case. That said I can very much see why some would want to keep in addition to a 24-70 II (or instead of).

But I think between the timing and the comments I've seen that the sudden bump in for sale is due to the 24-70 II.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:02 PM

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11225388 « 24L MKII no longer loved? »