Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jaystar86's message #11219615 « OM-D & PEN Images »

jaystar86
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: OM-D Images

Thanks for the post Bobby. I would say the abundance of choices is a good thing

I read some more into available lenses since my last post and I suppose what Im trying to ask is should I get the 12-50mm kit lens and pair it with an Oly 40-150mm

OR

Should I skip the kit lens and pairing it with another zoom lens and just get the Oly 14-150mm or Panny 14-140mm (again not sure which is the better lens).

Im not sure which route would provide me better IQ since I have no experience with any of these lenses. Aperture limitations seem to be about the same no matter the choice (the Panny f2.8 zoom lenses are too much $$$ for me atm). Other considerations are build quality and AF speed/accuracy. Obviously getting one of the latter lenses would be more convenient since it would be just one zoom lens instead of two paired together but I would be willing to forgo the convenience factor if the Image IQ and AF would be better between two paired lenses instead.

Not sure if anyone follow's me here, lol, but thats about the jist of my confusion.

Input, advice, thoughts for a soon to be EM-5 user? Thanks a ton in advance as I know this is more of a photo sharing thread then a advice thread but I figure Ill get the best advice and input from EM-5 users!

bobbytan wrote:
Welcome to the OM-D Club!

Fortunately or unfortunately, there are way too many choices when it comes to standard zoom lenses:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/01/micro-four-thirds-lens-lineup.html

I am using the 12-50 as my general lens and it does an okay job. I would check out the Oly 14-42 Mk II too, or something in that range.

jaystar86 wrote:
I just wanted to chime in and say Im really impressed by everyone's work in this thread. Took me about 2 days to get through this entire thread but I did it... All 87 pages! I think this thread is the best resource on the web for sampling this camera IMO (or at-least from what I have come across).

Ditched my entire Canon 5d kit about 8 months back and I will without a doubt be joining you peeps in here soon with an Oly EM-5 & PL 25mm 1.4.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I need a good general purpose zoom lens as I will only be able to get the PL 25mm 1.4 for now as my only prime (will have to make do with it alone for 6 months or so) and I would still like to be able to cover my wide angle and telephoto needs with one zoom lens with a decent IQ and aperture. Any recommendations since I could save some coin by getting this body only and bypassing the kit lens (which also seems decent in the form of the 12-50mm but is obviously lacking the telephoto side of thing as its only 100mm in terms of 35mm) and then put that money towards a good all purpose zoom from Panny or Oly? Perhaps the Oly 14-150mm ?

Or I was thinking I could just get the body with 12-50 kit lens and tag on a 40-150 lens to cover my basis? So confused, lol.

New to all this 4/3 stuff so I dont know which of the zoom lenses have decent IQ either!

Any input would be appreciated!

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM
jaystar86
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: OM-D Images

Thanks for the post Bobby. I would say the abundance of choices is a good thing

I read some more into available lenses since my last post and I suppose what Im trying to ask is should I get the 12-50mm kit lens and pair it with an Oly 40-150mm (or Panny 45-200mm, not sure which is the better lens)

OR

Should I skip the kit lens and pairing it with another zoom lens and just get the Oly 14-150mm or Panny 14-140mm (again not sure which is the better lens).

Im not sure which route would provide me better IQ since I have no experience with any of these lenses. Aperture limitations seem to be about the same no matter the choice (the Panny f2.8 zoom lenses are too much $$$ for me atm). Other considerations are build quality and AF speed/accuracy. Obviously getting one of the latter lenses would be more convenient since it would be just one zoom lens instead of two paired together but I would be willing to forgo the convenience factor if the Image IQ and AF would be better between two paired lenses instead.

Not sure if anyone follow's me here, lol, but thats about the jist of my confusion.

Input, advice, thoughts for a soon to be EM-5 user? Thanks a ton in advance as I know this is more of a photo sharing thread then a advice thread but I figure Ill get the best advice and input from EM-5 users!

bobbytan wrote:
Welcome to the OM-D Club!

Fortunately or unfortunately, there are way too many choices when it comes to standard zoom lenses:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/01/micro-four-thirds-lens-lineup.html

I am using the 12-50 as my general lens and it does an okay job. I would check out the Oly 14-42 Mk II too, or something in that range.

jaystar86 wrote:
I just wanted to chime in and say Im really impressed by everyone's work in this thread. Took me about 2 days to get through this entire thread but I did it... All 87 pages! I think this thread is the best resource on the web for sampling this camera IMO (or at-least from what I have come across).

Ditched my entire Canon 5d kit about 8 months back and I will without a doubt be joining you peeps in here soon with an Oly EM-5 & PL 25mm 1.4.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I need a good general purpose zoom lens as I will only be able to get the PL 25mm 1.4 for now as my only prime (will have to make do with it alone for 6 months or so) and I would still like to be able to cover my wide angle and telephoto needs with one zoom lens with a decent IQ and aperture. Any recommendations since I could save some coin by getting this body only and bypassing the kit lens (which also seems decent in the form of the 12-50mm but is obviously lacking the telephoto side of thing as its only 100mm in terms of 35mm) and then put that money towards a good all purpose zoom from Panny or Oly? Perhaps the Oly 14-150mm ?

Or I was thinking I could just get the body with 12-50 kit lens and tag on a 40-150 lens to cover my basis? So confused, lol.

New to all this 4/3 stuff so I dont know which of the zoom lenses have decent IQ either!

Any input would be appreciated!

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:35 AM

Previous versions of jaystar86's message #11219615 « OM-D & PEN Images »