Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11218644 « do you shoot raw? »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: do you shoot raw?

nugeny wrote:
\" a pro is one who makes a living from his /her photography\"
I would add: he doesn\'t have to be an artist. An artist is \"a dreamer\" , some times a hungry one, he doesn\'t care if his work sells, as long as he achieves in rendering his vision, he is happy.

nugeny wrote: The important location of a picture is the center. In the real world, I want my picture to be really sharp on the main location--that is mostly around the center, that where people look at first and last. The corner and the far distant location: I purposely make them less sharp TO ACCENTUATE THE IMPORTANT AREA. Some times vignetting helps.

I do landscapes and now wildlife, both don;t need to be sharp every where. Quite often, it is not good arstistically to be sharp every where.

So do you consider yourself to be a \"pro\" or an \"artist\"

IMO ... shooting print film always had more latitude than shooting chrome ... yet pro\'s and artists alike shot chrome, while other pro\'s and artists shot print (and others B&W) ... not to mention the variation in film profiles used by each. Personally, I shot VPS 160 for weddings, FujiChrome 50 for most everything else.

IMO, the medium you choose (print vs. chrome or RAW vs. JPG) is not indicative of your \"status\" as either pro or artist. There are plenty of people here at FM who are obviously both professional and artistic ... and some that are obviously, neither. But in neither case is their level of professionalism or artistry dictated by the reduction to their use of RAW or JPG files ... irregardless of how much we might struggle to achieve a consensus definition of either.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:34 PM
RustyBug

nugeny wrote:
I would add: he doesn\'t have to be an artist. An artist is \"a dreamer\" , some times a hungry one, he doesn\'t care if his work sells, as long as he achieves in rendering his vision, he is happy.

nugeny wrote: The important location of a picture is the center. In the real world, I want my picture to be really sharp on the main location--that is mostly around the center, that where people look at first and last. The corner and the far distant location: I purposely make them less sharp TO ACCENTUATE THE IMPORTANT AREA. Some times vignetting helps.

I do landscapes and now wildlife, both don;t need to be sharp every where. Quite often, it is not good arstistically to be sharp every where.

IMO ... shooting print film always had more latitude than shooting chrome ... yet pro\'s and artists alike shot chrome, while other pro\'s and artists shot print (and others B&W) ... not to mention the variation in film profiles used by each. Personally, I shot VPS 160 for weddings, FujiChrome 50 for most everything else.

IMO, the medium you choose (print vs. chrome or RAW vs. JPG) is not indicative of your \"status\" as either pro or artist. There are plenty of people here at FM who are obviously both professional and artistic ... and some that are obviously, neither. But in neither case is their level of professionalism or artistry dictated by the reduction to their use of RAW or JPG files.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:15 PM
RustyBug

nugeny wrote:

IMO ... shooting print film always had more latitude than shooting chrome ... yet pro\'s and artists alike shot chrome, while other pro\'s and artists shot print (and others B&W) ... not to mention the variation in film profiles used by each. IMO, the medium you choose (or RAW vs. JPG) is not indicative of your \"status\" as either pro or artist. There are plenty of people here at FM who are obviously both professional and artistic ... and some that are obviously, neither. But in neither case is their level of professionalism or artistry dictated by the reduction to their use of RAW or JPG files.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:48 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11218644 « do you shoot raw? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.