Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Gunzorro's message #11204807 « Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples? »

Gunzorro
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

I have the 40 STM and it is nice, but has gobs of light falloff. I prefer my original 35/2 overall.

You can't really compare a 50mm with its symmetrical lens design resulting in low distortion to a 35mm retro-focus wide angle. Two totally different sets of expectations for lens aberrations. I've owned the Zeiss ZE 35/2 and while a nice lens, it had a ton of light fall-off and a good amount of distortion, costing $1100+.

I can certainly see compelling differences in sharpness and contrast between lenses at f/8, especially on the edges.

If this new 35 IS lens will sell for $700 or less, I think I can forgive a few expected weaknesses wide open. I have a 50/1.2L and live with it nicely and it's an aberration rich lens if I ever saw one, but one of my favorites.

I can't argue in favor of the lens, having not seen enough samples or used it myself. But I can be optimistic based on recent Canon offerings. I've got no reason to think this will be a weak lens like the 28/1.8.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Previous versions of Gunzorro's message #11204807 « Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples? »