Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of R10's message #11203756 « Leica 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro MFD »

R10
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro MFD

Lee Saxon wrote:
Can someone who's used this lens confirm the minimum focus distance?

Some sources that say 44cm (30cm with the 1:1 adapter), essentially the same as the Zeiss 100/2, while some say 70cm.

Also, is the focus travel really two full turns? That's quite cool.

thrice wrote:
The 100 APO Macro Elmarit has higher resolving power (400lpmm) than any other lens Leica have ever made. Or so I was told today.

Just did some measurements with mine:

Minimum focus distance from film/sensor plane
(actually in line with the specs provided by Leica, surprise):

Without Elpro: ~45 cm
With Elpro: ~30 cm (max. ~35 cm)

Yes, focus travel is (almost) two full turns. If find it rather too much even for macro work. Moreover, this lens is also almost unbeaten at longer focus distances (the 4/280 APO outperforms it), but a focus thread like this makes it hard to use for people and street photography.

Btw, it is stellar and one of the reference lenses in the Leica lab but, it does certainly not resolve 400lp/mm (wow). It resolves 150lp/mm (center) and 80lp/mm (corner) at any aperture before diffraction comes into play (see Puts 2003 about Leica’s 80-100mm R-lenses). This is 'stellar enough' and second to almost nothing in the 35mm/full frame world. And this lens is much more than resolution...

AME100 on EOS 5DII

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:10 PM

Previous versions of R10's message #11203756 « Leica 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro MFD »