Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of dsjtecserv's message #11201970 « Do You Us Use Facebook? »

dsjtecserv
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Do You Us Use Facebook?

The dpreview article is incorrect, and I commented to that effect on it. They are correct that the existing ToS language found on Facebook and most other sharing sites does not unfairly claim rights to photos posted there. That language simply provides for the display of your pictures by the site, in in pursuit of their job to show your pictures to the world. that's whey you posted them there, and you obviously have to give them permission to display them.

The language proposed by Instagram appears to be quite different, with a significantly different potential effect. In this case you would be giving them permission to sublicense your photos to someone else, for purposes entirely separate from your reason in putting them on the site. Those reason could include commercial use of your photos, without compensation or, notification or agreement by you of that usage. That is not even remotely close to the standard ToS used by most sites, and would represent a major intrusion into the fairly-delineated rights of the site and the user.

Dave

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:56 PM
dsjtecserv
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Do You Us Use Facebook?

The dpreview articles incorrect, and I commented to that effect on it. They are correct that the existing ToS language found on Facebook and most other sharing sites does not unfairly claim rights to photos posted there. That language simply provides for the display of your pictures by the site, in in pursuit of their job to show your pictures to the world. that's whey you posted them there, and you obviously have to give them permission to display them.

The language proposed by Instagram appears to be quite different, with a significantly different potential effect. In this case you would be giving them permission to sublicense your photos to someone else, for purposes entirely separate from your reason in putting them on the site. Those reason could include commercial use of your photos, without compensation or, notification or agreement by you of that usage. That is not even remotely close to the standard TOS used by most sites, and would represent a major intrusion into the fairly-delineated rights of the site and the user.

Dave

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:55 PM

Previous versions of dsjtecserv's message #11201970 « Do You Us Use Facebook? »