Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of melcat's message #11190406 « Full frame dSLR for manual focus? »

melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Full frame dSLR for manual focus?

I still have an OM-3 in the cupboard, and shot with an OM-1, OM-2N and OM-4 before that. From 2007 to 2011 I used a 5D, and now a 1Ds Mk III. Here's my comparison of the finders:

The OM-4 and OM-3 with the stock 1-13 screen are almost identical in viewfinder size and brightness to the original 5D with Ee-S screen. I verified this by a side-by-side comparison. The brightness is not surprising, since the OM-3 and OM-4 also have semi-silvered mirrors like modern AF cameras. It must be understood that there were a large number of screens in the OM system and used examples often had ancient dim screens scavenged from 1970s bodies. There was also a 1-13N screen that came with the OM-3Ti that is like a modern Canon one: brighter, but it doesn't show the full shallowness of field.

The OM-1 and OM-2 have larger finders which are also about as bright (no semi-silvered mirror, but the increased light spread over the bigger area).

The 1Ds Mk III of course has a finder slightly larger than the 5D.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:58 AM
melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Full frame dSLR for manual focus?

I still have an OM-3 in the cupboard, and shot with an OM-1, OM-2N and OM-4 before that. From 2007 to 2011 I used a 5D, and now a 1Ds Mk III. Here's my comparison of the finders:

The OM-4 and OM-3 with the stock 1-13 screen are almost identical in viewfinder size and brightness to the original 5D with Ee-S screen. I verified this by a side-by-side comparison. The brightness is not surprising, since the OM-3 and OM-4 also have semi-silvered mirrors like modern AF cameras. It must be understood that there were a large number of screens in the OM system and used examples often had ancient dim screens scavenged from 1970s bodies. There was also a 1-13N screen that came with the OM-3Ti that is like a modern Canon one: brighter, but it doesn't show the full shallowness of field.

The OM-1 and OM-2 have larger finders which are also about as bright (no semi-silvered mirror, but same light over the bigger area).

The 1Ds Mk III of course has a finder slightly larger than the 5D.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:39 AM

Previous versions of melcat's message #11190406 « Full frame dSLR for manual focus? »