Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of JohnJ's message #11189770 « Full frame dSLR for manual focus? »

JohnJ
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Full frame dSLR for manual focus?

Tarocco wrote:
.... I'm leaning towards a 5D MKII with the right screen but will I be disappointed compared to the OM2N?...

Yes, it will be a dissapointment compared the the OM2 which has a large image magnification combined with a bright screen. The image magnifiaction on the 5D2 is lower, ie you are looking at a smaller image. The 5D2 is dimmer/darker, especially if you fit the Egs screen which you will probably have to to be able to focus accurately. The 5D2 also seems to suffer from a kind of flare from stray light which I always found made focusing harder than it had to be. I never had that same problem with a 1ds2.

Having said that, and dumped as much poo on the 5D2 as I possibly can, it can be used to focus accurately but it's not ideal. A lot will depend on the lenses you use so if your lenses are a little on the fuzzy side then your life will be much harder. On the other hand if your lenses are already sharp at the aperture you will be focusing at then you will probably be OK. By way of example, I tend to use a Leica R 80/1.4 at F2 where it is already very sharp and focusing using the 5D2 is relatively easy.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:17 AM

Previous versions of JohnJ's message #11189770 « Full frame dSLR for manual focus? »