Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of curious80's message #11187322 « DxOMark rates the new Canon EOS 6D »

curious80
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: DxOMark rates the new Canon EOS 6D

With DxoMark it is much more informative to look at detailed graphs rather than the scores. Here is 6D against D800 and D3s:

The SNR is pretty much identical and the differences are primarily in dynamic range. 6D has basically joined D3s as the high-ISO king and edges above the D800 at high ISO. At low ISOs of 100-400 the Sony sensor keeps its dynamic range advantage. Though at a DR of just over 12 EV at low ISOs, 6D is still excellent. I am a fan of Sony sensors with their great low ISO DR, but I don\'t know how many of those who complain about poor Canon sensors actually make use of 13 or 14 EV DR in their pictures. My Sony NEX-5N with 12 EV of DR already has so much room to pull out shadows that unless I am careful with my processing I can easily get my photos to start looking like HDRs. With 12 EV you are already getting into fairly deep shadows and the 13th and 14th stops are really really deep shadows - the range which most people will turn into black anyway. In reality I suspect that for most users the high ISO advantage has more practical value than the extra 2 stops of ultra-deep shadows.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
curious80

With DxoMark it is much more informative to look at detailed graphs rather than the scores. Here is 6D against D800 and D3s:

The SNR is pretty much identical and the differences are primarily in dynamic range. 6D has basically joined D3s as the high-ISO king and edges above the D800 at high ISO. At low ISOs of 100-400 the Sony sensor keeps its dynamic range advantage. Though at a DR of just over 12 EV at low ISOs, 6D is still excellent. I am a fan of Sony sensors with their great low ISO DR, but I don\'t know how many of those who complain about poor Canon sensors actually make use of 13 or 14 EV DR in their pictures. My Sony NEX-5N with 12 EV of DR already has so much room to pull out shadows that unless I am careful with my processing I can easily get my photos to start looking like HDRs. In reality I suspect that for most users 6D is actually the better sensor.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
curious80

The SNR is pretty much identical and the differences are primarily in dynamic range. 6D has basically joined D3s as the high-ISO king and edges above the D800 at high ISO. At low ISOs of 100-400 the Sony sensor keeps its dynamic range advantage. Though at a DR of just over 12 EV at low ISOs, 6D is still excellent. I am a fan of Sony sensors with their great low ISO DR, but I don\'t know how many of those who complain about poor Canon sensors actually make use of 13 or 14 EV DR in their pictures. My Sony NEX-5N with 12 EV of DR already has so much room to pull out shadows that unless I am careful with my processing I can easily get my photos to start looking like HDRs.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Previous versions of curious80's message #11187322 « DxOMark rates the new Canon EOS 6D »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.