Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ebrandon's message #11180430 « 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?) »

ebrandon
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I\'m really liking the 6D -- the small size & weight make a big difference to me and for the first time I feel like a FF DSLR is approaching the hand feel and usability of of film SLRs.

A lot of people on this thread are worried about the spacing of the AF points. I know this can be an issue and it was one of the deal breakers on the Sony A99 that led me to return that camera. In my opinion, the 6D AF points are spaced far enough out into the frame to make them useful with very minimal recomposing. I don\'t like to focus-and-recompose with fast lenses (35L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, etc) because it leads to focusing errors. I find the outer focus points on this camera very fast & accurate, and the tiny recompose movement sometimes needed for subjects near the edge of the frame does not introduce focusing errors.

Some of things I really like about this camera --

a) Single-function buttons

b) Very logical and useful button layout -- can do almost anything with my eye up to the viewfinder. Can shoot for hours without having to go into the menus.

c) No buttons on left of screen, can work everything with my right hand.

d) AF microadjust easy and works well. Includes separate adjustments for both ends of zoom lens.

e) Live view works well with choice of contrast or phase detect AF which both work well in the respective situations that call for them.

f) Nice shutter button and shutter sound, and camera doesn\'t feel like it\'s being shaken by mirror.

g) No mirror clearance issues with any of my alt lenses yet.

So far my only two slight negative with this camera:

1) The jpgs are not quite to my taste, with a NR algorithm I don\'t like. But what I\'ve been able to glean about what the RAWs from converting them to TIFFs in DPP and then working on the TIFFs in LR convinces me that once we have a good raw workflow with this camera, the image quality will be stellar.

2) I was only about 50% successful with tracking AF (AF-S) experiments. But, honestly, I\'ve never had that much luck with tracking AF with any camera. It might be me.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:48 PM
ebrandon
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I\'m really liking the 6D -- the small size & weight make a big difference to me and for the first time I feel like a FF DSLR is approaching the hand feel and usability of of film SLRs.

A lot of people on this thread are worried about the spacing of the AF points. I know this can be an issue and it was one of the deal breakers on the Sony A99 that led me to return that camera. In my opinion, the 6D AF points are spaced far enough out into the frame to make them useful with very minimal recomposing. I don\'t like to focus-and-recompose with fast lenses (35L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, etc) because it leads to focusing errors. I find the outer focus points on this camera very fast & accurate, and the tiny recompose movement sometimes needed for subjects near the edge of the frame does not introduce focusing errors.

Some of things I really like about this camera --

a) Single-function buttons

b) Very logical and useful button layout -- can do almost anything with my eye up to the viewfinder. Can shoot for hours without having to go into the menus.

c) No buttons on left of screen, can work everything with my right hand.

d) AF microadjust easy and works well. Includes separate adjustments for both ends of zoom lens.

e) Live view works well with choice of contrast or phase detect AF which both work well in the respective situations that call for them.

f) Nice shutter button and shutter sound, and camera doesn\'t feel like it\'s being shaken by mirror.

g) No mirror clearance issues with any of my alt lenses yet.

So far my only slight negative with this camera is that the jpgs are not quite to my taste, with a NR algorithm I don\'t like. But what I\'ve been able to glean about what the RAWs from converting them to TIFFs in DPP and then working on the TIFFs in LR convinces me that once we have a good raw workflow with this camera, the image quality will be stellar.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM

Previous versions of ebrandon's message #11180430 « 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.