Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of NathanHamler's message #11179715 « Worthwhile to repair SB-800? »

NathanHamler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Worthwhile to repair SB-800?

I am DONE with SB-800's.....every single one out there on the used market is in worse shape than claimed, and they're all dying by the dozen.....of course, this is just conjecture......BUT.....

I have an SB-800 i THOUGHT i was getting a good deal on a while back from KEH, well over a year ago.....i paid $289 for it in BGN condition....i got it in the mail, the flash would turn on, communicate with the camera, but not fire....the capacitor would dump LIKE it was firing, but no light was emitted.....so i sent it back to KEH, they asked if i wanted it fixed, or to refund.....not having much faith in them to be able to fix it correctly, i asked for a refund, then found another a few weeks later at Adorama i think, for like $300.....so i bought it, worked great, no issues...

Then the PC connector would fire intermittently....i got a quote from APS in Illinois, it was gonna be over $100 to fix the PC connector....so rather than do that, i bought a Screw lock PC cable, and it works great....

Then something started acting up with the foot, and the flash wouldn't fire....so i sent it in, and it was like $120 to fix....no biggie, i guess it's worth it...

THEN, like a year later, the flash quit communicating with the camera....it would fire in manual mode, but no TTL (b/c it couldn't sense aperture, ISO, or metering info), and MORE importantly, no AF ASSIST!!....so i was over a barrel at that point, so i sent it in to APS, they came back and said they replaced the foot, and the main PCB, AND the zoom mech, which wasn't even defective, this time it was like $250 to basically rebuild the flash....so pissed....at that point i decided i'm DONE using SB-800's.....SB-600's do the exact same functions i need, and they're HALF the price, if not less when you find a deal....also, good thing is, most SB-600's you find used may not have been used professionally.....same cant be said for the majority of SB-800's out there.....

And now, like 8 months later, my SB-800 has quit communicating AGAIN!!!....no TTL, no af assist....flashes just fine in manual mode though...which is a shame, b/c my $85 SB-28's and SB-25's will do the EXACT same thing that my $670 SB-800 does now....so mad....

Oh yeah, forgot to say APS did all my repairs too....they did a great job, except they didnt last... :-(

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:27 PM
NathanHamler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Worthwhile to repair SB-800?

I am DONE with SB-800's.....every single one out there on the used market is in worse shape than claimed, and they're all dying by the dozen.....of course, this is just conjecture......BUT.....

I have an SB-800 i THOUGHT i was getting a good deal on a while back from KEH, well over a year ago.....i paid $289 for it in BGN condition....i got it in the mail, the flash would turn on, communicate with the camera, but not fire....the capacitor would dump LIKE it was firing, but no light was emitted.....so i sent it back to KEH, they asked if i wanted it fixed, or to refund.....not having much faith in them to be able to fix it correctly, i asked for a refund, then found another a few weeks later at Adorama i think, for like $300.....so i bought it, worked great, no issues...

Then the PC connector would fire intermittently....i got a quote from APS in Illinois, it was gonna be over $100 to fix the PC connector....so rather than do that, i bought a Screw lock PC cable, and it works great....

Then something started acting up with the foot, and the flash wouldn't fire....so i sent it in, and it was like $120 to fix....no biggie, i guess it's worth it...

THEN, like a year later, the flash quit communicating with the camera....it would fire in manual mode, but no TTL (b/c it couldn't sense aperture, ISO, or metering info), and MORE importantly, no AF ASSIST!!....so i was over a barrel at that point, so i sent it in to APS, they came back and said they replaced the foot, and the main PCB, AND the zoom mech, which wasn't even defective, this time it was like $250 to basically rebuild the flash....so pissed....at that point i decided i'm DONE using SB-800's.....SB-600's do the exact same functions i need, and they're HALF the price, if not less when you find a deal....also, good thing is, most SB-600's you find used may not have been used professionally.....same cant be said for the majority of SB-800's out there.....

And now, like 8 months later, my SB-800 has quit communicating AGAIN!!!....no TTL, no af assist....flashes just fine in manual mode though...which is a shame, b/c my $85 SB-28's and SB-25's will do the EXACT same thing that my $670 SB-800 does now....so mad....

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:11 PM

Previous versions of NathanHamler's message #11179715 « Worthwhile to repair SB-800? »