Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of workerdrone's message #11178226 « The Nikon 200mm f/2 Thread - part 2 »

workerdrone
Upload & Sell: On
Re: The Nikon 200mm f/2 Thread - part 2

I have to dust off my VR1 this week, this thread has made me realize how little use it's had overall, which is a great injustice to it!

These pics have previously been posted I think but a lot of the links are broken in the archive thread.

200/2 mini FAQ
-How big is it?
It's basically the same length as a 70-200 f2.8. Just a lot heavier and with a much bigger and more expensive hood.

-How much it cost?
if you have to ask...

-Is it worth it?
Oh yes. Yes. And yes.

But if you are lusting for such glass and don't have the means, content yourself with the argument that far more affordable lenses such as the 180/2.8, 300/4, even 70-200 VRII's are possibly 90% there, especially when viewed and printed at standard sizes. And if you are a talented photographer, with those you will produce better photos than those who simply have the means and no talent. And that sort of nectar tastes just as sweet as that which pours from the rear element of the 200/2.

Of course, they don't do so well at f2.0 (couldn't resist)

-Can I handhold it?
Absolutely. It's heavy, and a monopod makes life much easier, but it's a compact lens that enables blazing shutter speeds and has great VR. I also think heavy lenses and bodies provide stability just in their mass.

-Is it OK to carry it by the camera body?
No. That's what the strap lugs on the lens and the tripod foot are for. Once your glass gets this chubby, grab the lens, not the camera!

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Previous versions of workerdrone's message #11178226 « The Nikon 200mm f/2 Thread - part 2 »