Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of each's message #11169396 « Advice on investing my next $1000 »

each
Upload & Sell: Off
Advise on investing my next $1000

I'm fairly new to photography but have some basic understanding of most of the concepts. I currently own a D7000 with the kit 18-105mm lens and the 35mm 1.8G. After getting terribly blurry picture of my daughter's (6 yrs old) gymnastics event with the slow kit lens, I realized that I need "more". The more i thought about potential low light issues the more scenarios i thought of. More gymnastics, upcoming school plays that my kids may be in, etc. Some of these may allow flash but some may not.

After a lot of reading I settled on a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS. I liked the flexibility that I got with the varying focal length since I may be sitting at variable distances depending on the venue. Additionally, if I choose to capture a bit of video I have some zoom/pan options without moving. Then I read more. I keep reading that 2.8 is often not fast enough for gymnastics and those folks recommend fast primes. I'd loose the zoom flexibility and have to deal with really narrow depth of fields but at least I could get the shot. I put the Sigma purchase on hold.

Then I started thinking flash. Maybe I upgrade my SB-400 to something more powerful and couple that with an 85mm 1.8g. When I could use the flash, I'd use my kit lens with flash and when I can't I'd use the 85mm or 35mm primes depending on my distance from the action (maybe pick up the 50mm 1.8 too).

Ok, big wall of text later, while I'm betting I won't see a consensus, I'm looking to more experienced folks to give me their recommendations. What say you? How should I spend my next $1000?

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:55 AM
each
Upload & Sell: Off
Advise on investing my next $1000

I'm fairly new to photography but have some basic understanding of most of the concepts. I currently own a D7000 with the kit 18-105mm lens and the 35mm 1.8G. After getting terribly blurry picture of my daughter's (6 yrs old) gymnastics event with the slow kit lens, I realized that I need "more". The more i thought about potential low light issues the more scenarios i thought of. More gymnastics, upcoming school plays that my kids may be in, etc. Some of these may allow flash but some may not.

After a lot of reading I settled on a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS. I liked the flexibility that I got with the varying focal length since I may be sitting at variable distances depending on the venue. Additionally, if I choose to capture a bit of video I have some zoom/pan options without moving. Then I read more. I keep reading that 2.8 is often not fast enough for gymnastics and those folks recommend fast primes. I'd loose the zoom flexibility and have to deal with really narrow depth of fields but at least I could get the shot.

Then I started thinking flash. Maybe I upgrade my SB-400 to something more powerful and couple that with an 85mm 1.8g. When I could use the flash, I'd use my kit lens with flash and when I can't I'd use the 85mm or 35mm primes depending on my distance from the action (maybe pick up the 50mm 1.8 too).

Ok, big wall of text later, while I'm betting I won't see a consensus, I'm looking to more experienced folks to give me their recommendations. What say you? How should I spend my next $1000?

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:52 AM

Previous versions of each's message #11169396 « Advice on investing my next $1000 »