Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11165147 « Need some help learning how to be GOOD at Photoshop »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Need some help learning how to be GOOD at Photoshop

Essentially, everything is PS is a product of moving pixel values closer together or farther apart. Changing the pixel Hue (i.e. color), changing the Saturation or Luminance (HSL).

Pretty profound stuff, I know.

But, if you want to get "good" at PS, then you'll want to understand "how the engine runs", rather someone telling you "do this, do that". If that is what you're aspiring for, then I might recommend Dan Margulis books. He digs into color theory on channel basis, @ r,g,b,c,m,y,k,l,a,b. I've got his Photoshop book and his LAB book (Canyon Conundrum). Both are weighted pretty heavily at color theory, and understanding how that allows us to combine, separate, control our efforts.

MSHI made a recommendation to me @ Photoshop Channel Chops as well. I'm still working my way to applying it's concepts @ channels, but it is similar (imo) to the Dan Margulis material in the way that it is about teaching how it works, rather than "do this, do that" that is so popular.

I'm with MSHI @ studying the image to discern what needs to be done. This is where the color theory (etc.) is really beneficial. Then, comes the separation into command & control for making those changes. I set myself a goal in 2012 for learning Layers. My newer goal is to learn Channels. Both of these are most useful in selective adjustments and refining/balancing them.

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

I must admit, I've not fully utilized the Adobe resources, but I do like the material & style (i.e. not "do this, do that") of both Margulis and Channel Chops. I find they make good partners. Certainly other materials abound ... but I prefer mine to be "old school" such that I learn "why", rather than simply "how to" emulate/copy what others do. They aren't the tell all, end all by any means ... but I find them to be fundamentally sound from which to build upon and retain for reference.

Then, it's all about practice & proficiency, building your refining arsenal of how you execute "command & control" to your style & taste.

+1 @ Scott's invite to the PC forum ... it has been the staple of my growth & exploration, along with Scott and other fellow FM'ers.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:35 PM
RustyBug

Essentially, everything is PS is a product of moving pixel values closer together or farther apart. Changing the pixel Hue (i.e. color), changing the Saturation or Luminance (HSL).

But, if you want to get "good" at PS, then you'll want to understand "how the engine runs", rather someone telling you "do this, do that". If that is what you're aspiring for, then I might recommend Dan Margulis books. He digs into color theory on channel basis, @ r,g,b,c,m,y,k,l,a,b. I've got his Photoshop book and his LAB book (Canyon Conundrum). Both are weighted pretty heavily at color theory, and understanding how that allows us to combine, separate, control our efforts.

MSHI made a recommendation to me @ Photoshop Channel Chops as well. I'm still working my way to applying it's concepts @ channels, but it is similar (imo) to the Dan Margulis material in the way that it is about teaching how it works, rather than "do this, do that" that is so popular.

I'm with MSHI @ studying the image to discern what needs to be done. This is where the color theory (etc.) is really beneficial. Then, comes the separation into command & control for making those changes. I set myself a goal in 2012 for learning Layers. My newer goal is to learn Channels. Both of these are most useful in selective adjustments and refining/balancing them.

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

I must admit, I've not fully utilized the Adobe resources, but I do like the material & style (i.e. not "do this, do that") of both Margulis and Channel Chops. I find they make good partners. Certainly other materials abound ... but I find them to be "old school" such that I learn "why", rather than simply "how to" emulate/copy what others do. They aren't the tell all, end all by any means ... but I find them to be fundamentally sound from which to build upon and retain for reference.

Then, it's all about practice & proficiency, building your refining arsenal of how you execute "command & control" to your style & taste.

+1 @ Scott's invite to the PC forum ... it has been the staple of my growth & exploration, along with Scott and other fellow FM'ers.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:32 PM
RustyBug

I must admit, I've not fully utilized the Adobe resources, but I do like the material & style (i.e. not "do this, do that") of both Margulis and Channel Chops. I find they make good partners. Certainly other materials abound ... but I find them to be "old school" such that I learn "why", rather than simply "how to" emulate/copy what others do. They aren't the tell all, end all by any means ... but I find them to be fundamentally sound from which to build upon and retain for reference.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:26 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11165147 « Need some help learning how to be GOOD at Photoshop »