Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of no_surrender's message #11157418 « Children's Christmas Party (C&C) »

no_surrender
Upload & Sell: Off
Children's Christmas Party (C&C)

First, thanks for the lighting suggestions I received in a different thread earlier this week. I wasn't able to practice or take any test shots so this was definitely a learning experience...one that I still need lots of practice to figure out.

I ended up using one medium sized SB with a grid to focus the light on the "Santa chair." I wanted the background (lit Christmas tree) to have that warm ambient look, which for the most part it did. The downfall was that the ambient light was so low, especially for small apertures (f/5.6-f/10), that my shutter speed was hanging around 0.8 - 1/10". Well, I couldn't bump up my strobe from the SB high enough to stop ghosting because it didn't blend well with the ambient light. I experimented and changed settings for about 2.5 hours during the party (before the shots with Santa) and just couldn't settle on anything. Long story short, most of the images are either blurry or have a decent amount of ghosting from motion blur.

I closed the blinds to prevent stray outdoor light from making the trees look brighter than they needed to be. Who knows if this was a mistake on my part The SB w/ grid was approximately 8 feet from the chair, raised up to about 6.5 feet and angled straight at the chair.

Below are a few shots from today. The rest are on my site at http://www.kcrawphotography.com/People/Ilmagwon-Orphanage-Childrens/26825319_8HmQWG#!i=2247046879&k=Qp6sSLX

I haven't sent them to the Orphanage yet so if you guys/gals see anything major that needs to be addressed that I might have missed, please let me know. One thing I should mention is that I shot these in "auto white balance" mode and decided against changing it to "fluorescent" because it made some of them look too cool. I do think for the most part they look a little too warm, but I can't do a global WB adjustment without messing some up and I really don't want to adjust by image because the WB will end up being all over the place.

3. Deleted

4. Deleted

5. Deleted

6. Deleted

8. Deleted

10. Deleted

13. The group shot and the one before it (#12) were lit with a 7' parabolic umbrella about 10 feet from the front of the group, about 7 feet up.

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:35 AM
no_surrender
Ilmagwon Orphanage Children's Christmas Party (C&C)

First, thanks for the lighting suggestions I received in a different thread earlier this week. I wasn't able to practice or take any test shots so this was definitely a learning experience...one that I still need lots of practice to figure out.

I ended up using one medium sized SB with a grid to focus the light on the "Santa chair." I wanted the background (lit Christmas tree) to have that warm ambient look, which for the most part it did. The downfall was that the ambient light was so low, especially for small apertures (f/5.6-f/10), that my shutter speed was hanging around 0.8 - 1/10". Well, I couldn't bump up my strobe from the SB high enough to stop ghosting because it didn't blend well with the ambient light. I experimented and changed settings for about 2.5 hours during the party (before the shots with Santa) and just couldn't settle on anything. Long story short, most of the images are either blurry or have a decent amount of ghosting from motion blur.

I closed the blinds to prevent stray outdoor light from making the trees look brighter than they needed to be. Who knows if this was a mistake on my part The SB w/ grid was approximately 8 feet from the chair, raised up to about 6.5 feet and angled straight at the chair.

Below are a few shots from today. The rest are on my site at http://www.kcrawphotography.com/People/Ilmagwon-Orphanage-Childrens/26825319_8HmQWG#!i=2247046879&k=Qp6sSLX

I haven't sent them to the Orphanage yet so if you guys/gals see anything major that needs to be addressed that I might have missed, please let me know. One thing I should mention is that I shot these in "auto white balance" mode and decided against changing it to "fluorescent" because it made some of them look too cool. I do think for the most part they look a little too warm, but I can't do a global WB adjustment without messing some up and I really don't want to adjust by image because the WB will end up being all over the place.

3. Deleted

4. Deleted

5. Deleted

6. Deleted

8. Deleted

10. Deleted

13. The group shot and the one before it (#12) were lit with a 7' parabolic umbrella about 10 feet from the front of the group, about 7 feet up.

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:46 AM
no_surrender
Ilmagwon Orphanage Children's Christmas Party (C&C)

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:44 AM
no_surrender
Ilmagwon Orphanage Children's Christmas Party

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Previous versions of no_surrender's message #11157418 « Children's Christmas Party (C&C) »