Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11134621 « Nobody's getting the EOS-M »

Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I bought one - I will post something shortly.

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.[ focus with the 22f2 is slow but with the zoom is pretty good at the store when I bought it. However, you really want the 22f2 to work because its small and having the zoom on makes it big. And walking around with lots of lens/adapters defeats the purpose ]

My rationale was -
1) It is aps-c so the quality is very high for IQ
2) Review of the lens are good
3) I coudl use my existing lens with it
4) And most importantly, often my wife complains when I carry a massive bag around, while strolling hand in hand in a romantic walk

So far:
1) focus is challenging with the 22f2, and don\'t botther with the 100-400 - its really bad. But the 17-55f2.8IS seemed okay. The focus is adequate for landscape but difficult for moving subjects.
2) image quality is very good and approaching my 7d.
3) The touch screen menu takes such time to get used to that I would not expect my wife to use it unless I left it on the right setting. It is somewhat intuitive if you have used (really used) a canon but for most people they would put it on the default and call it a day [ my wife saw a weasel out the front of our house and wanted to take a picture. It was easier to explain how to use my 7d with 100-400 than eos-m over the phone - eg put lens on - turn to c1 and blast away]
4) The features (HDR, autobracketing, ...) are comprehensive for landscape but you won\'t see Laurel using them.

On balance I am happy with my purchase because I can walk arm in arm with my wife and stop for landscape shots or put a 17-55 on it and do pretty well.

However I suspect most mortals will either find i) autofocus is barely adequate for family snapshots with the wide pancake lens, and iii) the feature set is too complicated and they don\'t want it.

So for those of us (likely all here) that want a really good quality camera with lots of optionality that you can take when a full camera just does not fit in, but is not adequate for sport, and is barely adequate for family snap shots inside, but is pretty good outside, its a good buy. But for others, buy the the g12.

I did not try my 600 f4 /1.4 with it

[PS. In reading my mini-review it sounds very negative - remember I am happy with the compromise.I just think that the 22mmf2 needs replacing with a better lens 22mmf2 that is faster]

----------------

Since I posted that I did some testing on auto focus inside [I will find a time to outside later]. Here are the scientific results based on focusing on the arm of my chair and then switching to focussing about 10\' away.
22mmf2 stm 1s
18-55 stm 3/4s
24-105f4ISL 3s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
17-55IS f2.8 2s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
70-200 f2.8 is 1.5s vs 1/2s on 7d
[The focus speed on all lens did not vary much between long and short ranges]
Which brings me to the conclusion, don\'t buy this for interchangability because you won\'t enjoy the speed.

Buy it for the fact that its apsc (pretty good iso performance), pretty good quality iq, cheaper in kit than olympus m or sony nx.

And again, for me with my goal (occasional use when my dslr would be intrusive) its the right choice.

And don\'t bother with the adapter inside.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Scott Stoness

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.[ focus with the 22f2 is slow but with the zoom is pretty good at the store when I bought it. However, you really want the 22f2 to work because its small and having the zoom on makes it big. And walking around with lots of lens/adapters defeats the purpose ]

My rationale was -
4) And most importantly, often my wife complains when I carry a massive bag around, while strolling hand in hand in a romantic walk

So far:
1) focus is challenging with the 22f2, and don\'t botther with the 100-400 - its really bad. But the 17-55f2.8IS seemed okay. The focus is adequate for landscape but difficult for moving subjects.
3) The touch screen menu takes such time to get used to that I would not expect my wife to use it unless I left it on the right setting. It is somewhat intuitive if you have used (really used) a canon but for most people they would put it on the default and call it a day [ my wife saw a weasel out the front of our house and wanted to take a picture. It was easier to explain how to use my 7d with 100-400 than eos-m over the phone - eg put lens on - turn to c1 and blast away]
4) The features (HDR, autobracketing, ...) are comprehensive for landscape but you won\'t see Laurel using them.

On balance I am happy with my purchase because I can walk arm in arm with my wife and stop for landscape shots or put a 17-55 on it and do pretty well.

However I suspect most mortals will either find i) autofocus is barely adequate for family snapshots with the wide pancake lens, and iii) the feature set is too complicated and they don\'t want it.

So for those of us (likely all here) that want a really good quality camera with lots of optionality that you can take when a full camera just does not fit in, but is not adequate for sport, and is barely adequate for family snap shots inside, but is pretty good outside, its a good buy. But for others, buy the the g12.

[PS. In reading my mini-review it sounds very negative - remember I am happy with the compromise.I just think that the 22mmf2 needs replacing with a better lens 22mmf2 that is faster]

----------------

Since I posted that I did some testing on auto focus inside [I will find a time to outside later]. Here are the scientific results based on focusing on the arm of my chair and then switching to focussing about 10\' away.
22mmf2 stm 1s
18-55 stm 3/4s
24-105f4ISL 3s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
17-55IS f2.8 2s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
70-200 f2.8 is 1.5s vs 1/2s on 7d
[The focus speed on all lens did not vary much between long and short ranges]
Which brings me to the conclusion, don\'t buy this for interchangability because you won\'t enjoy the speed.

Buy it for the fact that its apsc (pretty good iso performance), pretty good quality iq, cheaper in kit than olympus m or sony nx.

And again, for me with my goal (occasional use when my dslr would be intrusive) its the right choice.

And don\'t bother with the adapter.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Scott Stoness

My rationale was -

So far:

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Scott Stoness

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.[ focus with the 22f2 is slow but with the zoom is pretty good at the store when I bought it. However, you really want the 22f2 to work because its small and having the zoom on makes it big ]

My rationale was -

So far:

[PS. In reading my mini-review it sounds very negative - remember I am happy with the compromise.]

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Scott Stoness

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.[ focus with the 22f2 is slow but with the zoom is pretty good at the store when I bought it. However, you really want the 22f2 to work because its small and having the zoom on makes it big ]

My rationale was -

So far:

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Scott Stoness

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.

My rationale was -

So far:

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:22 PM

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11134621 « Nobody's getting the EOS-M »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.