Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #11126135 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »

naturephoto1
Upload & Sell: On
Re: What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
The Leica 28mm f/2.8 PC lens is really a Schneider design, and is supposedly nothing special until you stop it down somewhat. At f/8 it is meant to be very good, or even excellent. That is on full frame, and I don't know if it has the resolution to support a high-pixel-density mirrorless.

Hi Carsten,

You are correct about its pedigree. However, after speaking with Justin Stailey at Leica, he agreed that the 28 PC is a Schneider but these lenses had to be made to Leica's standards. I am not sure if they were hand picked, but they are supposed to be better performers than the run of the mill lens in the Nikon or Canon mounts. Best performance will be about 11mm to allow the maximum amount of shift on the lens (9.5mm; 11mm may result in CA along the edges of the FF).

It performs admirably on my Lumix G1 camera. I know that it is not as sharp as the R 28mm 2.8 2nd generation lens. My initial tests indicate that my copy performs quite well, but I have only made the assessment at close to f8 or f11 and running the shift out to 9.5 or 11m on the G1.

Many have reported on-line that the Leica 28mm 2.8 PC version may well be the highest resolving 35mm FF format shift lens (including TS) and color of any of the lenses made for the Leica system or the Canon or Nikon shift and TS lenses. But, of course there will be variations from specimen to specimen.

Rich

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:10 PM

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #11126135 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »