Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of navyasw02's message #11121366 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »

navyasw02
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I took the new camera for a spin after work and took some night photos since it was already dark. These aren't very interesting composition wise, but I wanted to just get a feel for the camera and see how things worked. Let me preface this with I am a pretty no frills kind of guy. I dont do video, I dont use half the features on a camera. I spent 20 years shooting with an old hand me down Minolta manual focus before I got my first DSLR, a Canon 10D and finally a 5D. I also have used the Olympus EPL1.

Overall - the autofocus speed seemed a little slow, even on some shots I took in my house (not included here). I tried manual focus and it is a lot of fun and very easy to use. I had so much fun with it, I dont think I'll use autofocus anymore. I might even invest in the viewfinder. My one complaint with manual focus is that there are no hard stops at the end of the focus ring. If there's no hard stops then I wish Sony would have made it so that the color changes on the focus assisting line. Not a big deal though. I'll have to spend more time shooting with it to see if this camera is worth the money, but so far I'm very pleased.

Dials were very easy to use and well laid out
Menus are well organized, and are easy to understand even with my Japanese skills somewhere between dog and baby.
Shutter is ABSOLUTELY SILENT. This is an incredible street camera. I took pictures right next to people and they didnt even notice.

Other minor complaints - the lens cap feels a little bulky and there is no texture on it, making it possibly pretty easy to drop in foul weather. I wish there was an automatic lens cover that opened upon startup instead.

These photos with the exception of minor crops are straight out of the camera JPEGs with noise reduction turned off just to see the worst case. Unfortunately Lightroom doesn't handle RAW the files yet

Sample Photos

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:44 PM

Previous versions of navyasw02's message #11121366 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »