Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of badlydrawnboy's message #11117239 « The Canon 50mm lens challenge »

badlydrawnboy
Upload & Sell: Off
The Canon 50mm lens challenge

I\'ve seen a lot of discussion lately about the Canon 50/1.2 vs. 50/1.4 (and to a lesser degree the 50/1.8). Technical and build quality considerations aside, one of the most common sentiments I see expressed is that the 50/1.2 has a \"magical\" quality of rendering images that the 50/1.4 and and 50/1.8 don\'t have.

I\'m curious about this myself. I\'ve used all three of these lenses myself at various times. Sometimes I think I see this quality with the 50/1.2, and other times I don\'t (or more accurately I see it with the 50/1.4 too).

I thought it would be interesting to invite people to post pictures they\'ve taken with each lens, without metadata, processed the way they would normally be processed, and the rest of us can try to guess which lens was used. If the 50/1.2 does indeed have a recognizable rendering quality, shouldn\'t we be able to see it? I, for one, would like to know if I can see it in other side-by-side pictures since I can\'t always see it in my own.

Note that I\'m doing this in the spirit of curiosity and not to challenge anyone\'s opinion or judgment about these lenses.

I\'ll kick things off with a few examples of my own:

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:32 PM

Previous versions of badlydrawnboy's message #11117239 « The Canon 50mm lens challenge »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.