Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jdc562's message #11116632 « Testing the Sony A99 at ISO 6400, 10000, 12800 »

jdc562
Upload & Sell: On
Testing the Sony A99 at ISO 6400, 10000, 12800

surfnron wrote:
These all look nice to me, but a little noise is starting to appear in the last shot. I don't really think this a good test though, unless all you plan to do is post uncropped images online at a relatively small size.
Ron

To reduce the number of variables for the viewer to consider, I posted the images with the minimum necessary manipulations. I'm assuming FMers have enough experience to expand the images on their own screens and examine the noise levels at these three high ISOs--and from their experience evaluate the what the quality of the images would be after the processing that they would use.

If I had processed the images as usual by cropping, noise reduction, and sharpening, viewers would not know how much of the image quality was a product of the camera performance at these high ISOs or how much was the product of the processing software and my ability to use it.

But your reply has made me think that a more informative test would be to post both the minimally manipulated image and a processed version to assess the extent to which software can reduce the high ISO noise. I'll try that next.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:57 PM
jdc562
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Testing the Sony A99 at ISO 6400, 10000, 12800

surfnron wrote:
These all look nice to me, but a little noise is starting to appear in the last shot. I don't really think this a good test though, unless all you plan to do is post uncropped images online at a relatively small size.
Ron

To reduce the number of variables for the viewer to contemplate, I posted the images with the minimum necessary manipulations. I'm assuming FMers have enough experience to expand the images on their own screens and examine the noise levels at these three high ISOs--and from their experience evaluate the what the quality of the images would be after the processing that they would use.

If I had processed the images as usual by cropping, noise reduction, and sharpening, viewers would not know how much of the image quality was a product of the camera performance at these high ISOs or how much was the product of the processing software and my ability to use it.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:54 PM

Previous versions of jdc562's message #11116632 « Testing the Sony A99 at ISO 6400, 10000, 12800 »