Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Snopchenko's message #11114597 « Sigma focusing on quality control »

Snopchenko
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sigma focusing on quality control

Lots of people I know are using third party glass - Sigma, Zeiss etc. - and it's never a question of what lens they're using, it's what pictures they bring in from the shoot. Of course going to the very low end may bring some unpleasant results but you don't seem to be defending $100 kit lenses from any manufacturer, do you?
The local Reuters guy has been using Sigma 14mm for a long time and he's still in Reuters. He inspired me to pick up one of these at 1/3 the price of the L. It brought me lots of printed pictures and nobody knew they weren't made with an L lens. Actually, nobody ever gave a toss what we're shooting with. I would've never justified the purchase of the 14 L because it's ridiculously cost-ineffective.

And there are some unique third party lenses as well: say, Sigma 120-300/2.8 and 12-24/4.5-5.6, Tokina 11-16/2.8 or the Tamron 60/2 macro prime. Something to consider as well.

Bottom line is, everybody chooses what fits him/her best. There's no universal truth. Zeiss fans would sneer at the idea of L lenses being THE best, so everything is relative. Then there's Leica.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:24 PM

Previous versions of Snopchenko's message #11114597 « Sigma focusing on quality control »