Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Roland W's message #11083208 « Switching between a ballhead and gimbal head. »

Roland W
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Switching between a ballhead and gimbal head.

I have the Really Right Stuff TH-DVTL-55 on one of my BH-55 ball heads, and also have a short 3/8 inch dovetail plate on my original Wimberley. I then have a lever release clamp on one of my tripods, and the RRS leveling head with lever clamp in my TVC-33. I can then mix and match quickly, and have no issues with strength or stability. I am very glad I went with the system, and can mount other heads I have on the tripod, like my three way head. I also can mount things directly on the leveling head, like a long lens with plate, or a macro rail assembly. The hardware for providing the quick relase of heads does add some weight, but I have a lighter tripod with a BH-40 ball head for that need. If I really want a larger tripod for light weight needs, I can convert things back to remove the quick release feature.

The dovetail fitting should stay on and not come loose if you tighten the screw properly. I use a long handle hex key to put it on well, but can still remove it if I need to. I avoid using even the removable locktight in any amount on something I may want to remove later.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:49 AM

Previous versions of Roland W's message #11083208 « Switching between a ballhead and gimbal head. »