Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of NathanHamler's message #11079469 « Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique »

NathanHamler
Upload & Sell: Off
Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

From a wedding a few weeks ago...my shot is the top, my 2nd's is the bottom......on camera flash and fong dong for him, and off camera/bounced on camera for me....his settings iso 1600, f/5, 1/60s APERTURE PRIORITY (pulled back slightly (-.3 ev), my settings iso 2000, f/2.8, 1/50s, MANUAL (pushed slightly in post (+.3 ev)....

you can tell on his image how dark it was in there, and on my image if you look up towards the top, up the staircase, it's pretty dark....

I think if he had stepped back a little, and shot from my position, he things MAY have been different...that inverse square law sucks, when you're that close to the subject...however, his flash would have popped pretty hard, and blown out the foreground....

the funny thing is, if he would have taken the fong dong off, gelled his flash, and opened up the ambient more, he prob could have done close to the same image as mine with just a bounced flash....

just thought i'd share.....i think the moral here is that when a client chooses a venue they love, with a lot of character, you can't just settle for crappy dark backgrounds....gotta show the whole venue for what it is....for what they remember....

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:22 PM

Previous versions of NathanHamler's message #11079469 « Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique »