Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of sjms's message #11068749 « Centre column: Geared or Rapid? (Series 3) »

sjms
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Centre column: Geared or Rapid? (Series 3)

Rapid if you choose to need/have one.
Ans:

1- on my larger tripod i don't even use a CP. it is either a leveling platform or a std flat platform

2- geared columns are primarily a preference they are not real precision devices

3- i do not believe so. what would your 0 reference be on uneven ground and varied leg adjustments?

4- the crank assy is a simple rack and pinion gear assy. not real precise all together. but since you are vertical the weight is from above so backlash is essentially nonexistant as there is load on it from above at any given time unless it is locked.

5- the new 2012 models were redesigned, improved against platform seperation/failure and optimized so they would not accept the RRS leveling head which was designed to fit both RRS TVC-33 and the 2011 and earlier systematic Gitzo legs. they don't like to play well with others. they're special

as was mentioned not too many use a geared head due to its additional weight/bulk and the rapid has worked out just fine.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Previous versions of sjms's message #11068749 « Centre column: Geared or Rapid? (Series 3) »