Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of AndreasE's message #11068606 « Nikkor AFS 70-200mm/4 VR - First impressions »

AndreasE
Upload & Sell: Off
Nikkor AFS 70-200mm/4 VR - First impressions

Given the high level of interest and in some ways anticipation by photographers for this new lens, I thought you might be interested if I share some very first experiences with this lens - including some pictures.

I did have the opportunity to use this lens for a few hours and shoot some pictures. As said, all personal views and impressions are based on a few hours - so take it with a grain of salt until more comprehensive reviews will appear.

Before I start, some history: About 26 years ago, Nikon introduced the AF 70-210mm/4, which was offered for a comparatively short term. According to Roland Vink's list, about 120.00 lenses were produced in the 2 years. Since then, this "gap" existed in the Nikkor lineup, which quite few photographers in the Canon camp seemed to enjoy. The requirements to this type of lens is manyfold: Lightweight and compact, excellent IQ, less weight than the 2.8 version, better subject isolation than the compact telezooms plus lower price than the 2.8 telezooms. Quite a lot of requirements. Curious as I am, I wanted to find this out. As said, I had the opportunity to shoot some pictures - which I am going to share in the subsequent posts.

Let's start with a family picture:
From left to right: The AFS 70-200mm/2.8 VR II, the newcomer, the AFS 70-300mm VR and the older predecessor AF 70-210mm/4. The length of the new lens fits nicely in.

regards,
Andy

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Previous versions of AndreasE's message #11068606 « Nikkor AFS 70-200mm/4 VR - First impressions »