Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of snapsy's message #11038699 « Re-assessing the D800 sensor as a Canon alternative »

snapsy
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Re-assessing the D800 sensor as a Canon alternative

splathrop wrote:
The story so far. I say Nikon D800/D800e files look lacking in color/contrast, or something. Nobody argues with that, not yet anyway. Some people seem to agree. I suggest reasons why that problem might be inherent in the high dynamic range sensor, at least in part because of its high dynamic range. I also suggest reasons why those problems might be hard to deal with in post processingóreasons that might account for the fact that people posting images from those cameras do not seem to have fixed those problemsótheir images fairly uniformly seem to show those problems.

And then multiple commenters weigh in saying, in effect, "Don't worry, just fix it with post processing."

Any perceived differences in contrast and color (especially contrast) is simply from differences in the processing defaults of the raw converter (or JPEG engine). If you've ever seen the source code of a demosaicing algorithm and its associated image processing pipeline you'd see there are countless decisions that need to be made about the default rendering of the image, and many times those decisions are either entirely arbitrary or suited to the developer's taste. Any some of those default decisions result in different rendering between two different bodies.

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:02 PM

Previous versions of snapsy's message #11038699 « Re-assessing the D800 sensor as a Canon alternative »