Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of glacierpete's message #11032489 « Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it »

glacierpete
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it

douglasf13 wrote:
Glacierpete, have you compared the DP2M to the Sigma 30 on the Nex-7?

Douglas,
No I only have a 5n. In this focal range the G28 (has to be stopped down to f8) and CV 35 2.5 (has to be stopped down to f11) to get images sharp corner to corner and prevent color shift.
I will sell both lenses.

The foveon sensor is in many regards different to a bayer sensor. I am still learning to master it. The level of detail is extreme. I use it always with ISO 100 sometimes with 200 and raw. I have not seen any banding others mentioned. The software needs a lot of improvement. It has some problems with AUTO white balance and cyan skys (can be corrected). And the raw files have more information in their over and underexposed areas, than the software shows without tweaking it.
The camera shines with architecture / product shots and landscapes, as long as you can live with a fixed 30mm (APS) lens without tilt/shift. I have not seen any distortion or CA. And it is really sharp corner to corner without any color shift.
I have some nice BW people shots on getdpi

In case you are considering a dp2m for your pro work, you might rent one first or buy one with the option to return it, in case it does not work for you. It fits my needs very well. For me it is a medium format (coat) pocket camera.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:13 AM
glacierpete

douglasf13 wrote:

Douglas,
No I only have a 5n. In this focal range the G28 (has to be stopped down to f8) and CV 35 2.5 (has to be stopped down to f11) to get images sharp corner to corner and prevent color shift.
I will sell both lenses.

The foveon sensor is in many regards different to a bayer sensor. I am still learning to master it. The level of detail is extreme. I use it always with ISO 100 sometimes with 200 and raw. I have not seen any banding others mentioned. The software needs a lot of improvement. It has some problems with AUTO white balance and cyan skys (can be corrected). And the raw files have more information in their over and underexposed areas, than the software shows without tweaking it.
The camera shines with architecture / product shots and landscapes, as long as you can live with a fixed 30mm (APS) lens without tilt/shift. I have not seen any distortion or CA. And it is really sharp corner to corner without any color shift.

In case you are considering a dp2m for your pro work, you might rent one first or buy one with the option to return it, in case it does not work for you. It fits my needs very well. For me it is a medium format (coat) pocket camera.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:10 AM
glacierpete

douglasf13 wrote:

Douglas,
I will sell both lenses.

Oct 11, 2012 at 06:19 AM

Previous versions of glacierpete's message #11032489 « Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it »