Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of glacierpete's message #11032430 « Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it »

glacierpete
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it

rattymouse wrote:
itai195 wrote:
I'd probably buy one of these if it weren't for the general poor quality of the camera and software. The price is fine. A few more iterations and refinement, some cooperation with third party raw converters, and Sigma could have something really interesting on their hands.

I have to agree. As I eye this camera and read the reviews, I am shocked at how awful a camera is built around this amazing sensor. Lens aside, the list of deficiencies is enormous. Add into that equation the god awful software and you have to be a veritable masochist to want to shoot with this camera! The IQ seems top notch, I just dont understand why Sigma cant build a proper camera around it.

Take the battery life for example. Truly appalling. Why not include a more powerful battery? A camera like the DP2 is not an every day camera. Certainly not like a compact is. So why does it have to be so small? Would people stop buying it if it were larger like a Fujifilm X100 or X Pro 1? I doubt that would affect sales at all, plus you get a much better battery life.

Why not make the camera with an f/2 lens? Since high ISO numbers destroy the IQ of this camera, give folks 1 extra stop of lens to help keep ISO levels down. If the X100 can have an F2 lens, why not the DP2?

"the list of deficiencies is enormous" Actually NOT when you work with it

The camera is fine. It handles in many regards better than a Nex5n.
I can very well live with an excellent 2.8 lens. It is tack sharp wide open and has a very nice bokeh. 2.0 would make it bigger and introduce more optical compromises.
The lens is better than a Leica 50 Summicron (no asp) or Zeiss Contax G 28. It is really as good as it gets. Fully optimized for this sensor.
In case you really want a 2.0 lens you might want to look into the Sony DSC-RX1 for 3x the price.

The software is the weakest point at the moment. I hope that it will be supported by CaptureOne and Lightroom soon.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:21 AM
glacierpete
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it

rattymouse wrote:
itai195 wrote:
I'd probably buy one of these if it weren't for the general poor quality of the camera and software. The price is fine. A few more iterations and refinement, some cooperation with third party raw converters, and Sigma could have something really interesting on their hands.

I have to agree. As I eye this camera and read the reviews, I am shocked at how awful a camera is built around this amazing sensor. Lens aside, the list of deficiencies is enormous. Add into that equation the god awful software and you have to be a veritable masochist to want to shoot with this camera! The IQ seems top notch, I just dont understand why Sigma cant build a proper camera around it.

Take the battery life for example. Truly appalling. Why not include a more powerful battery? A camera like the DP2 is not an every day camera. Certainly not like a compact is. So why does it have to be so small? Would people stop buying it if it were larger like a Fujifilm X100 or X Pro 1? I doubt that would affect sales at all, plus you get a much better battery life.

Why not make the camera with an f/2 lens? Since high ISO numbers destroy the IQ of this camera, give folks 1 extra stop of lens to help keep ISO levels down. If the X100 can have an F2 lens, why not the DP2?

"the list of deficiencies is enormous" Actually NOT when you work with it

The camera is fine. It handles in many regards better than a Nex5n.
I can very well live with an excellent 2.8 lens. It is tack sharp wide open and has very nice bokeh. 2.0 would make it bigger and introduce more optical compromises.
The lens is better than a Leica 50 Summicron (no asp) or Zeiss Contax G 28. It is really as good as it gets. Fully optimized for this sensor.

The software is the weakest point at the moment. I hope that it will be supported by CaptureOne and Lightroom soon.

Oct 11, 2012 at 05:42 AM

Previous versions of glacierpete's message #11032430 « Saw this image and just had to order the DP2M, couldn't fight it »