Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Joseph Marney's message #11031709 « Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it? »

Joseph Marney
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

There shots are amazing. Really. Not just because of the sensor, but because the camera is in some talented hands. Thanks for posting, all.

I have been thinking about the Foveon vs. Bayer thing, and while I think that some of the inherent advantage is certainly the full-color pixels of the Foveon, there are other things to consider.

Over the years, camera manufactures have placed a huge emphasis on high-iso performance. Some would agree that this has happened at the expense of low-iso performance. Weaker CFA's, NR in raw files, etc.

I was looking back at some old 1Ds files, as I just snagged a used one on B&S, and I'm always taken by how sharp the files are...how much detail there is in the 11MP files. But this was back when low-iso was still king.

I don't see anything like the image below out of any of my new cameras. Sure, the higher magnification makes for a lower apparent sharpness, but I do think that most new cams are sacrificing the best possible image quality for better all-round performance. Sigma obviously didn't follow that trend with this series of cameras.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Previous versions of Joseph Marney's message #11031709 « Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it? »