Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of 996gt2's message #11013209 « Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM »

996gt2
Upload & Sell: On
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM

brianjb wrote:
996gt2 wrote:
fraga wrote:
Anything against Nikkor 50mm f1.4G?

It's a great lens, IMHO better than canon's version.
Focuses fast and accurate and the IQ is quite good. Saturation, contrast, sharpness.

The Nikon 1.4G is a nice lens no doubt, but the AF is quite slow. A friend of mine used to own one and switched to the 1.8G due to the slow AF on the 1.4G.

So, for me the decision is between the Sigma 1.4 and Nikon 1.8G.

What are you planning to use it for that focus speed is such a concern?

There is no doubt that the focus speed of the Nikon 1.4 G is less than stellar. I have several screw driven lenses that focus faster, but I don't know that I would describe it as slow either. By comparison, the 85 1.4 G is even slower.

Reading all the comments about AF speed really makes me wonder what people are using their 50mm's for. While it may not be the fastest lens, I can't say there is anything that I shoot with it that requires me to have something faster. For me, I will settle for the slower AF and prefer the optical qualities of it over the alternatives, but everyone's situation is different.

When shooting an event or wedding, I need the AF to be fast enough so that I don't miss shots. I've used the Nikon 50 1.4G in the past and found the AF speed too slow on my D700 for my usage. The 1.8G is a significant improvement in this regard, and the Sigma is somewhere in between the 1.8 and 1.4G in terms of AF speed.

At this point I am learning towards selling my 50 1.8G and getting another Sigmalux. I really miss that lens from the days when I shot Canon.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:24 PM

Previous versions of 996gt2's message #11013209 « Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM »