Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of 996gt2's message #11012201 « Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM »

996gt2
Upload & Sell: On
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM

Before I switched to Nikon, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 was my favorite lens on my Canon 5D. I shot thousands of pictures with that lens and really loved the bokeh characteristic.

When I made the switch to Nikon, the 50 f/1.8G seemed like a no-brainer after reading several reviews. Fast AF, cheap, and very sharp was the general consensus I got from the reviews. In my experience, it definitely focuses a bit faster than my Sigmalux and is undoubtedly sharper in the corners (center sharpness is pretty even between the two). But as far as bokeh goes...to me the 50G lacks that "magic" the Sigma seemed to have, for lack of a better word.

At this point I'm going to shoot more with my D700+50G before I make a decision on whether to get a Nikon-mount Sigmalux, but I wanted to hear some other opinions on these two lenses. So, which lens do you think is better and why?

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:24 AM

Previous versions of 996gt2's message #11012201 « Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G vs. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM »