Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Matt Howell's message #10899463 « Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update! »

Matt Howell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Yes, I had loaded firmware v1.1.3 on my camera back in June. As I said, I literally followed the instructions to the letter and even went further by clearing all settings and custom functions before attempting the update. I am really disappointed in Canon that this could happen. I believe this first ever user applied lens update was poorly tested.

More detail:

The camera recognized the update and started applying it when I clicked ok. When the progress bar reached 29% it suddenly jumped to a full bar and said 2978% complete. I swear this is the craziest thing I have ever seen and I knew at that point that I was screwed. I quickly got Canon on the phone and we waited an additional 10 minutes but never got to update completely. The camera was locked up and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off. A second attempt with a different memory card while on the phone with Canon came to the same result. The lens will be sent out to Canon tomorrow for repair.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Matt Howell

Yes, I had loaded firmware v1.1.3 on my camera back in June. As I said, I literally followed the instructions to the letter and even went further by clearing all settings and custom functions before attempting the update. I am really disappointed in Canon that this could happen. I believe this first ever user applied lens update was poorly tested.

More detail:

The camera recognized the update and started applying it when I clicked ok. When the progress bar reached 29% it suddenly jumped to a full bar and said 2978% complete. I swear this is the craziest thing I have ever seen and I knew at that point that I was screwed. I quickly got Canon on the phone and we waited and additional 10 minutes but never got to update completely. The camera was locked up and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off. A second attempt with a different memory card while on the phone with Canon came to the same result. The lens will be sent out to Canon tomorrow for repair.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Matt Howell

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:36 PM

Previous versions of Matt Howell's message #10899463 « Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update! »