Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of melcat's message #10898095 « Help please...Canon T1i overexposure problems »

melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Help please...Canon T1i overexposure problems

Monito wrote:
For Focus-Recompose, you need to do what I do and many others do including many pros. Separate the AF away from the shutter button and to the * (star) button on the back of the camera, top right (left one of the two buttons). That way you can focus with your thumb, recompose and then press the shutter button gently. You will get the exposure from the actual scene as shot.

If dpreview have listed the custom functions correctly

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/12

it looks to me like you would with the shipped setup of the camera too: shutter half-press just starts AF and by default doesn't lock AE.

By the way, on many of the Canon bodies AE lock on shutter half-press is disabled with the metering set to evaluative. This can cause the behaviour to unexpectedly change if you change to centre-weighted.

I guess it's possible the meter looked at the black pants and made them grey, but it's hard to see how it metered on them.

BrianO wrote:
Canon Digital Photo Professional confirms that you were in Program mode with Center-weighted Average metering and zero exposure compensation. The camera chose ISO 800 and 1/40-second shutter at f/4.0.

f/4 is almost wide open so it's not a sticky aperture mechanism. I suspect this is a faulty camera body.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM
melcat

Monito wrote:
For Focus-Recompose, you need to do what I do and many others do including many pros. Separate the AF away from the shutter button and to the * (star) button on the back of the camera, top right (left one of the two buttons). That way you can focus with your thumb, recompose and then press the shutter button gently. You will get the exposure from the actual scene as shot.

it looks to me like you would with the shipped setup of the camera too: shutter half-press just starts AF and by default doesn't lock AE.

By the way, on many of the Canon bodies AE lock on shutter half-press is disabled with the metering set to evaluative. This can cause the behaviour to unexpectedly change if you change to centre-weighted.

I guess it's possible the meter looked at the black pants and made them grey, but it's hard to see how it metered on them.

BrianO wrote:
Canon Digital Photo Professional confirms that you were in Program mode with Center-weighted Average metering and zero exposure compensation. The camera chose ISO 800 and 1/40-second shutter at f/4.0.

f/4 is wide open so it's not a sticky aperture mechanism. I suspect this is a faulty camera body.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM
melcat

Monito wrote:

By the way, on many of the Canon bodies AE lock on shutter half-press is disabled with the metering set to evauative. This can cause the behaviour to unexpectedly change if you change to centre-weighted.

BrianO wrote:

f/4 is wide open so it's not a sticky aperture mechanism. I suspect this is a faulty camera body.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM
melcat

Monito wrote:

By the way, on many of the Canon bodies AE lock on shutter half-press is disabled with the metering set to matrix pattern. This can cause the behaviour to unexpectedly change if you change to centre-weighted.

BrianO wrote:

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:50 AM

Previous versions of melcat's message #10898095 « Help please...Canon T1i overexposure problems »