Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Jman13's message #10885685 « Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions »

Jman13
Upload & Sell: On
Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Well, as some of you know, I got my Oly 75mm f/1.8 today. Lucky...I got the last one in stock at Focus Camera, which was the only one anywhere I could find.

Anyway, the lens is built beautifully, with an all metal silver finish. It's a little smaller and lighter than I thought from looking at pictures...slightly smaller than a full frame 85/1.8. Focus ring moves smoothly and with good feel.

And, if you've followed reviews from this lens, you know it's sharp. And I can confirm that it is indeed very, very sharp. Wide open it's already really sharp, with very pleasing bokeh. Stopped down, it can cut glass, and it is razor sharp from extreme corner to corner. Color and contrast are very nice. This is the first m4/3 lens I've owned where DOF is thin enough that I have to watch that I don't sway forward or backward and move the focus point.

It isn't completely perfect, though...it can have minor purple fringing on bright edges wide open, and there is some longitudinal CA, but both are well controlled for a fast telephoto and are easily fixed in Lightroom if desired. Overall, though, certainly not bad in this department.

AF is very fast. I even tried out C-AF with tracking on some runners and bike riders, and when I sucessfully locked on the subject (for the AF to track), it actually got a fair number in perfect focus. Not as much as I'd get with a pro DSLR, but it did really well, actually.

Some samples. I think all of these are wide open:

100% unsharpened crop of above:

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Previous versions of Jman13's message #10885685 « Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions »