Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of oldrattler's message #10850236 « Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed »

oldrattler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Monito wrote:
Looks like some people are falling into the \"landscape implies wide angle\" trap.

The perfect landscape lens is a sharp lens. I\'ve used sharp lenses from 10 mm to 400 mm for landscapes.

oldrattler wrote: I currently have the Canon 1DsII, 7D, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.8, & the 300 F2.8 IS.

Don\'t settle for \"the usual tripod\". Get a really good one. I recommend a carbon fiber with three section legs and no (NO) center column and a substantial ball head. I went Gitzo and RRS big ballhead and it has never let me down and I think it will serve me for decades should I live that long. You can do super-easy panos on that at any angle (including downlooking and uplooking) because it has a bubble in the legs and a bubble in the head. Think about an Omni Pivot Pro from RRS for multi-row panos.

Your weakest lens is the 17-40. The 24-105 should do you for moderately wide angles, so replace the 17-40 with the 16-35 Mark II or possibly the Nikkor 14-24 with an adapter. On the 7D, the Canon 10-22 is a great lens. People rave about the Canon 17mm TSE (as above) and I think it probably lives up to their praise, but I\'m likely to get the Canon 24 TSE first, now that Canon has substantially improved it with the Mark II.

As to camera, it is hard to beat the 5D Mark III for image quality.

Many people say the Nikon D800 is a great camera for detailed landscapes, but I\'m not sure the optics are as good as Canon optics except for that wide angle zoom, but you can use that on the Canon anyway.

Beyond that, investigate 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 view cameras (film or scanning backs), but that is a much more serious commitment to practice, learning, workflow, and indeed to lifestyle.

Thank you so much... I am a UWA type of guy but enjoy playing with DOF on the Sigma 120-300.. Compression can change everything... The Nikon 14-24 is one I have seriously considered, as well as the 17mm / 24mm TS-e... The 5DIII worries me with the AF luminance difficulty... Not as young as most of you so eyes are not great... Love the 1DsII points as they are big & easy to see...

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:52 PM

Previous versions of oldrattler's message #10850236 « Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.