Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Shiva dancing's message #10809235 « Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set? »

Shiva dancing
Upload & Sell: Off
Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

After a first year and a half of diving into the world of dSLRs with a T2i, I have gathered a set of lenses that I lack polarizing filters for. At this point, I would like to get polarizers for most, if not all, of the recent acquisitions, which include:
1. 28mm lens (55mm filter diameter), used for landscapes
2. 35mm lens (58mm diameter), used frequently for general purpose and landscapes
3. 70-200 zoom (67mm diameter), used for people shots, street shots, land and city scapes
4. 100mm macro (67mm diameter), used primarily for flower/plant/bug macros, some portraits
5. 400mm f 5.6 (77mm filter diameter), used for birds and Yellowstone Park wildlife

I\'m debating whether to get one large 77mm CPL and use step-up rings for the smaller diameter lenses - I am hesitant to do this given that using one CPL with rings might be too much of a hassle. Alternatively, I could get 2 or 3 CPL\'s so that there is a bit less hassle RE use of the step-up rings.

The one size I am hesitating on is the 77mm CPL for the 400mm lens. The few times I have sensed that I could use one is in shooting antelope/buffalo/elk in grassy areas with bright light. How many of you wildlife folks rountinely use a CPL for such subjects/conditions with this lens? Would it be worthwhile getting a CPL for this lens given the 5.6 aperture?

Your thoughts and advice are most welcome!
cheers, Steve

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Shiva dancing
Upload & Sell: Off
Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

After a first year and a half of diving into the world of dSLRs with a T2i, I have gathered a set of lenses that I lack polarizing filters for. At this point, I would like to get polarizers for most, if not all, of the recent acquisitions, which include:
1. 28mm lens (55mm filter diameter), used for landscapes
2. 35mm lens (58mm diameter), used frequently for general purpose and landscapes
3. 70-200 zoom (67mm diameter), used for people shots, street shots, land and city scapes
4. 100mm macro (67mm diameter), used primarily for flower/plant/bug macros, some portraits
5. 400mm f 5.6 (77mm filter diameter), used for birds and Yellowstone Park wildlife

I\'m still debating whether to get one large 77mm CPL and use step-up rings for the smaller diameter lenses - I am hesitant to do this given that using one CPL with rings in the field might be too much of a hassle. Alternatively, I could get 2 or 3 CPL\'s so that there is a bit less hassle RE use of the step-up rings.

I know that many FM folks here use a LEE system for their CPL/ND filter needs, but am not exactly familiar with how this system works and what would be required to accommodate all my lenses. Also, is this system much of hassle to use outdoors?

The one size I am hesitating on is the 77mm CPL for the 400mm lens. The few times I have sensed that I could use one is in shooting antelope/buffalo/elk in grassy areas with bright light. How many of you wildlife folks rountinely use a CPL for such subjects/conditions with this lens? Would it be worthwhile getting a CPL for this lens given the 5.6 aperture?

Your thoughts and advice are most welcome!
cheers, Steve

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:54 PM

Previous versions of Shiva dancing's message #10809235 « Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.