Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of aborr's message #10314431 « In camera sharpness on 1Ds2 »

aborr
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: In camera sharpness on 1Ds2

gheller wrote:
does anyone know how to boost the sharpness in camera on the 1Ds2? I did a Google search and FM search to no avail.

Look at the section in the 1Ds2 manual "Setting the Processing Parameters" starting on pg58.
The manual's on-line at the Canon web site if you don't have a copy.

is there any benefit to sharpening in camera vs. in PS?

The biggest disadvantage to sharpening in camera is that it destroys image detail at the time of capture, which you can never get back in post processing. There's also a small increase in noise as you increase the amount of in-camera sharpening, The only advantage I can think of to doing any sharpening at all in-camera is that it gives you very slightly nicer preview images to look at before you start your post processing.

There are lots of advantages to sharpening in photoshop (or in some other program):
- more control: more sharpening algorithms are available, and they're more sophisticated
- ability to choose sharpening methods and parameters based on the image content
- ability to do selective sharpening (e.g. to apply more sharpening to a subject's eyes than to their skin by using masks and layers
- ability to undo any sharpening decisions you make during post processing

Let's assume I am sticking with jpegs.

I'm going to make my case for shooting raw, anyway ...

You can lose a lot of image information when the camera takes the 12 bits of data (from the 1Ds2 sensor) and attempts to cram it into an 8-bit JPEG. When you shoot raw, you get all 12 bits of data to play with in post processing which can help you fix exposure errors and allow you to keep highlight and/or shadow detail that the in-camera JPEG engine would have discarded.

The middle ground is to set the camera to raw+JPEG. I started that way when I first began using raw files, but eventually ended up switching to "all raw, all the time", when I found that using raw instead of JPEG didn't add much time to my post processing.

Al

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:20 PM
aborr

gheller wrote:
does anyone know how to boost the sharpness in camera on the 1Ds2? I did a Google search and FM search to no avail.

Look at the section in the 1Ds2 manual "Setting the Processing Parameters" starting on pg58.

The biggest disadvantage to sharpening in camera is that it destroys image detail at the time of capture, which you can never get back in post processing. The only advantage I can think of to doing any sharpening at all in-camera is that it gives you very slightly nicer preview images to look at before you start your post processing.

There are lots of advantages to sharpening in photoshop (or in some other program):
- more control: more sharpening algorithms are available, and they're more sophisticated
- ability to choose sharpening methods and parameters based on the image content
- ability to do selective sharpening (e.g. to apply more sharpening to a subject's eyes than to their skin by using masks and layers

You can lose a lot of image information when the camera takes the 12 bits of data (from the 1Ds2 sensor) and attempts to cram it into an 8-bit JPEG. When you shoot raw, you get all 12 bits of data to play with in post processing which can help you fix exposure errors and allow you to keep highlight and/or shadow detail that the in-camera JPEG engine would have discarded.

The middle ground is to set the camera to raw+JPEG. I started that way when I first began using raw files, but eventually ended up switching to "all raw, all the time", when I found that using raw instead of JPEG didn't add much time to my post processing.

Al

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:02 PM
aborr

gheller wrote:

The biggest disadvantage to sharpening in camera is that it destroys image detail at the time of capture, which you can never get back in post processing. The only advantage I can think of to doing any sharpening at all in-camera is that it gives you very slightly nicer preview images to look at before you start your post processing.

The middle ground is to set the camera to raw+JPEG. I started that way when I first began using raw files, but eventually ended up switching to "all raw, all the time", when I found using raw instead of JPEG didn't add much time to my post processing.

Al

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:59 AM
aborr

gheller wrote:

Al

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Previous versions of aborr's message #10314431 « In camera sharpness on 1Ds2 »