Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Bob Jarman's message #10277453 « Wrong on so many counts »

Bob Jarman
Upload & Sell: On
Wrong on so many counts

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm confused by your title. Actually, I think it's my favorite photograph that I've seen that you have taken.

Thanks Doug,

Actually, I am referring to the well-worn checklist often used for critiques ( I include myself in this): leading lines, absence of subject, lacks sharpness, no place for eye to land, etc. On a holistic level I find the concept interesting, and as I alluded to above, a break from my (probably) routine, boring images.

Glad you like the image/concept.

By softness, do you mean focus or contrast?

Focus - enlarge much and the image falls apart.

Tell me what rules you think you've ignored or broken.

Noted above, but in a book ( see note below ) on composition I've read, after 6 or so chapters on composition, the author suggests, and I paraphrase, "now we have the rules, but there is nothing requiring they be followed". I find myself drawn to this cluster of green clover every time I see it (in the back yard) just "knowing" that there is an image there - if only I can find it.

Short story - trying to drag myself out of a rather deep rut.

Probably TMI,

Bob

[bold] [EDIT] [/bold] Freeman, Michael The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photography

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Bob Jarman
Upload & Sell: On
Wrong on so many counts

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm confused by your title. Actually, I think it's my favorite photograph that I've seen that you have taken.

Thanks Doug,

Actually, I am referring to the well-worn checklist often used for critiques ( I include myself in this): leading lines, absence of subject, lacks sharpness, no place for eye to land, etc. On a holistic level I find the concept interesting, and as I alluded to above, a break from my (probably) routine, boring images.

Glad you like the image/concept.

By softness, do you mean focus or contrast?

Focus - enlarge much and the image falls apart.

Tell me what rules you think you've ignored or broken.

Noted above, but in a book on composition I've read, after 6 or so chapters on composition, the author suggests, and I paraphrase, "now we have the rules, but there is nothing requiring they be followed". I find myself drawn to this cluster of green clover every time I see it (in the back yard) just "knowing" that there is an image there - if only I can find it.

Short story - trying to drag myself out of a rather deep rut.

Probably TMI,

Bob

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Previous versions of Bob Jarman's message #10277453 « Wrong on so many counts »