Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of melcat's message #10257910 « rookie picture quality question »

melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: rookie picture quality question

I disagree with the advice to shoot raw and fix the exposure later. If the camera metered on the snow, the shot is probably 1¾ stops overexposed. This is at the limit of how much adjustment raw files from most cameras will take without posterisation. Certainly, with my cameras, I would either bin such a shot or maybe try to process it as black and white.

As hinted in the above, the easy way to shoot in snow is to put the camera in Av, set exposure compensation to 1²/3 stops, and meter on the snow using AE lock. Either that or trust the camera\'s meter to recognize it as a snow scene - something a Nikon might but apparently Canon doesn\'t (I have never tried evauative metering in my Canon cameras). I would spot meter with multispot metering (you\'d need to use M).

Set white balance sunny or shade before shooting as appropriate. Not hard.

Using raw workflow brings a whole world of pain involving keeping software up to date, archiving, asset management, sidecar files, manual sharpening etc. In my opinion, it\'s a detour beginning photographers should not be making. You do have to nail exposure and white balance in camera if you shoot JPEG.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:57 AM

Previous versions of melcat's message #10257910 « rookie picture quality question »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.