Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10241189 « color/lighting issues »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: color/lighting issues

Uh-Oh ... you\'re ASKING me to give my .02 @ ambient mixed lighting

1st order of business for me is to identify which light source/color is my key lighting for my subject.

Next is to assess the fill/shadows for the subject to see if they are being filled in by the different color of light, or is it just a reduced value of the same color of light.

Looking at the lighting on her face, it seems to be the direct sunlight that is key (specular catchlight/hard shadow). It also appears to be late afternoon based on the angle of the shadows. From that, we have warm colored light coming in as key, and cool overhead sky light coming in from above. The areas of around her sunglasses are receiving some of the overhead blue, yet the shadow side of her face doesn\'t seem to be lit too much by the overhead sky.

I\'m curious if there was any kind of reflector (natural or contrived) or fill flash that was used because her shadow doesn\'t seem to have the contrast that would naturally occur from a specular sunlit only scenario. If there is fill being used, then what color is the fill, i.e. reflected sunlight @ warm, fill flash @ neutral, reflected skylight @ cool.

When I check the color in her pupils, I see that both pupils have \"0\" green in them, suggesting that there may be a magenta cast involved. Realizing that the \'golden hour\' lighting may have a warming tone to it is notable, but no green at all is a \"red flag\" for me.

Checking her teeth (sounds like I\'m buying a horse) I see strong absence of blue (i.e. yellow). Of course, that could be from the warm tones of the golden hour lighting, or from her natural colorartion, but it serves as a \"possible\" clue that it might be too warm. Of course, when dealing with \"golden hour\" lighting, it is very subjective as to the rendering one might be trying to achieve, i.e. neutral vs. warm., so S&P to taste is very much in play, but it still gives us a clue to consider.

Similarly, if you check the lower right corner where her arm is in direct vs. indirect lighting, you\'ll notice the green and blue difference between what should be the same color material (just different luminance) ... another clue that you are having mixed color influences.

The key here for me is to hunt out what areas of the image are being influenced by the different color light sources. Then, to decide if they are problematic or mood enhancing. The main thing to recognize is that with mixed lighting as such, global adjustments will not correct the color variance for both, so selective methods are required. This is why I find the study/hunt for the variances to be important, so you can decide where/how much you want to correct for ... then, it\'s off to the tools of choice. to do so.

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM
RustyBug

1st order of business for me is to identify which light source/color is my key lighting for my subject.

Next is to assess the fill/shadows for the subject to see if they are being filled in by the different color of light, or is it just a reduced value of the same color of light.

Looking at the lighting on her face, it seems to be the direct sunlight that is key (specular catchlight/hard shadow). It also appears to be late afternoon based on the angle of the shadows. From that, we have warm colored light coming in as key, and cool overhead sky light coming in from above. The areas of around her sunglasses are receiving some of the overhead blue, yet the shadow side of her face doesn\'t seem to be lit by the overhead sky.

I\'m curious if there was any kind of reflector (natural or contrived) or fill flash that was used because her shadow doesn\'t seem to have the contrast that would naturally occur from a specular sunlit only scenario. If there is fill being used, then what color is the fill, i.e. reflected sunlight @ warm, fill flash @ neutral, reflected skylight @ cool.

When I check the color in her pupils, I see that both puils have \"0\" green in them, suggesting that there may be a magenta cast involved. Realizing that the \'golden hour\' lighting may have a warming tone to it is notable, but no green at all is a \"red flag\" for me.

Checking her teeth (sounds like I\'m buying a horse) I see strong absence of blue (i.e. yellow). Of course, that could be from the warm tones of the golden hour lighting, or from her natural colorartion, but it serves as a \"possible\" clue that it might be too warm. Of course, when dealing with \"golden hour\" lighting, it is very subjective as to the rendering one might be trying to achieve, i.e. neutral vs. warm., so S&P to taste is very much in play, but it still gives us a clue to consider.

Similarly, if you check the lower right corner where her arm is in direct vs. indirect lighting, you\'ll notice the green and blue difference between what should be the same color material (just differen luminance) ... another clue that you are having mixed color influences.

The key here for me is to hunt out what areas of the image are being influenced by the different color light sources. Then, to decide if they are problematic or mood enhancing. The main thing to recognize is that with mixed lighting as such, global adjustments will not correct the color variance for both, so selective methods are required. This is why I find the study/hunt for the variances to be important, so you can decide where/how much you want to correct for ... then, it\'s off to the tools of choice. to do so.

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:37 PM
RustyBug

Looking at the lighting on her face, it seems to be the direct sunlight that is key (specular catchlight/hard shadow). It also appears to be late afternoon based on the angle of the shadows. From that, we have warm colored light coming in as key, and cool overhead sky light coming in from above. The areas of around her sunglasses are receiving some of the overhead blue, yet the shadow side of her face doesn\'t seem to be lit by the overhead sky.

When I check the color in her pupils, I see that both puils have \"0\" green in them, suggesting that there may be a magenta cast involved. Realizing that the \'golden hour\' lighting may have a warming tone to it is notable, but no green at all is a \"red flag\" for me.

Similarly, if you check the lower right corner where her arm is in direct vs. indirect lighting, you\'ll notice the green and blue difference between what should be the same color material (just differen luminance) ... another clue that you are having mixed color influences.

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:30 PM
RustyBug

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:19 PM
RustyBug

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:00 PM
RustyBug

Looking at the lighting on her face, it seems to be the direct sunlight that is key (specular catchlight/hard shadow). It also appears to be late afternoon based on the angle of the shadows. From that, we have warm colored light coming in as key, and cool overhead sky light coming in from above. The areas of around her sunglasses are receiving some of the overhead blue, yet the shadow side of her face doesn\'t seem to be lit by the overhead sky ... but, checking the numbers show more blue in her sunglasses frame than my eye would have suggested.

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:59 PM
RustyBug

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:52 PM
RustyBug

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:30 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10241189 « color/lighting issues »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.