Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of kjcramer's message #10208789 « Another 24L VS. 35L Thread... »

kjcramer
Upload & Sell: On
Another 24L VS. 35L Thread...

So I'm looking for a fast, wide prime for my 5D2. This lens does not have a "specific" purpose. When I've wondered around with primes in the past it's always been 50mm or longer. I want to expand my horizons a little bit. I have the (excellent) 16-35L II and enjoy it quite a bit, but it's not always fast enough for indoor snapshots. That and I really love some of the indoor/street shots I've seen taken with these lenses at or near wide-open. I like to take candids inside restaurants and outdoors at night, this is where this lens will see a lot of use.

I have tried shooting at the two focal lengths on my 16-35 but I am still undecided. I am leaning towards the 24 for a couple reasons. First, it's a newer design which isn't a big deal but worth mentioning. Second, and my question is this - Why not just crop the 24L photos when needed? With all the pixels on the 5d2 I don't know that you would lose much (and might even clean up the corners). Plus you still have the wide option when needed. Anyone shooting with high MP camera care to weigh in?

Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Previous versions of kjcramer's message #10208789 « Another 24L VS. 35L Thread... »