Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #10201632 « Macro Ring Flash Distance and Brightness »

jcolwell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Macro Ring Flash Distance and Brightness

Ring lights are devised to give even lighting in the near field, as you need for macro. For a subject distance of 30 feet, a typical ring flash will apear to be a small point source, like a single 580EX, but less powerful.

For portable remote lighting, I have two 580EX, one 580EX II, and a pair of 420EX. I'd probably use all five flash for this task. I'd use a 580EX on the camera as master, with two of the others sitting on the ground (on their little plastic feet), and two others mounted on light-weight stands at about head height. I use the legs and posts for sheet music stands as my light-weight flash support stands. They're really inexpensive at music stores that supply school bands. You can use thin fibreglass tent poles (secured by gaffer's tape) to extend the raised flash to higher heights - the poles fit inside the music stand posts. You'll also need something to mount the raised flash on. I use cold shoes attached to DIY brackets that fit over angled the top of the music stand top-tube. FWIW.

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:00 PM

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #10201632 « Macro Ring Flash Distance and Brightness »