Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jasonpatrick's message #10184979 « Canon 70-300mm IS vs Tamron 70-300mm VC »

jasonpatrick
Upload & Sell: On
Canon 70-300mm IS vs Tamron 70-300mm VC

Has anyone used both? I'm interested in image quality, most importantly at the long end. Right now I have the Canon, and have just purchased (but not yet received) the Tamron off the B&S board here. I was a little disapointed in the noise out of the Canon model...it has USM, but the old kind that spins the MF ring, and while it's not too loud, the IS makes a noise while engaging and disengaging so overall, not very quiet. I thought I might be able to jump the gun and get a comparison from someone that's used one or both. Overall, used, the Tamron is about 100 less expensive than the Canon.

I think the next step for me is going to be a 70-200mm f/4 is with a 1.4x converter, but I'm not in a position to make that step quiet yet. I'm basically looking for the best possible image quality at the longer end for the best possible price. IS is a must for me.

I got this one last week at 300mm f/7.1, 1/100, ISO 640, cropped about 50% of the image away.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:40 PM
jasonpatrick

Has anyone used both? I'm interested in image quality, most importantly at the long end. Right now I have the Canon, and have just purchased (but not yet received) the Tamron off the B&S board here. I was a little disapointed in the noise out of the Canon model...it has USM, but the old kind that spins the MF ring, and while it's not too loud, the IS makes a noise while engaging and disengaging so overall, not very quiet. I thought I might be able to jump the gun and get a comparison from someone that's used one or both. Overall, used, the Tamron is about 100 less expensive than the Canon.

I think the next step for me is going to be a 70-200mm f/4 with a 1.4x converter, but I'm not in a position to make that step quiet yet. I'm basically looking for the best possible image quality at the longer end for the best possible price. IS is a must for me.

I got this one last week at 300mm f/7.1, 1/100, ISO 640, cropped about 50% of the image away.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:40 PM
jasonpatrick

Has anyone used both? I'm interested in image quality, most importantly at the long end. Right now I have the Canon, and have just purchased the Tamron off the B&S board here. I was a little disapointed in the noise out of the Canon model...it has USM, but the old kind that spins the MF ring, and while it's not too loud, the IS makes a noise while engaging and disengaging so overall, not very quiet. I thought I might be able to jump the gun and get a comparison from someone that's used one or both. Overall, used, the Tamron is about 100 less expensive than the Canon.

I think the next step for me is going to be a 70-200mm f/4 with a 1.4x converter, but I'm not in a position to make that step quiet yet. I'm basically looking for the best possible image quality at the longer end for the best possible price. IS is a must for me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:03 PM

Previous versions of jasonpatrick's message #10184979 « Canon 70-300mm IS vs Tamron 70-300mm VC »